Clear all

Fretting giving me a headache.. too hard

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Im just starting to learn and im having trouble fretting notes.. if i hold down the string really close to the fret then the sound comes out correctly.. but if i try and fret a note closer to the back then the vibration seems to get blocked or something and it doesnt work... so what can I do about it.. power chords that take one or two fingers are fine but what about the A major chord.. it requires 3 fingers and one finger has to be at the back wich means the string gets kinda muffled.

Im a complete guitar newb. Feel free to e-mail me useful links for biggining players. thanks!

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Nick Torres had a great idea on how to do this. Make a triangle with your fingers not a straight line. Your pinky goes on the B string, index on the G string, and ring finger on the D string, or cheat and use the mini barre I.E. ring finger across all three strings but chances are you'll muffle the high E.
Just recently I saw Little Brother fret the D, mini barre the G and B and then fret the high E on 3 is that still an A?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Use ur index on 3rd string , middle on 4th and ring on the 2nd string.Thats how i do it and Amaj is the simply the simplest chord.Give a try

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Its not just A its any fret and any chord period. I get this kinda muffled sound if I dont fret the string almost right in front of the fret.. if I fret it near the middle or back then I just get a gross sounding vibration..

I guess im going to find a teacher to help me..

Im a complete guitar newb. Feel free to e-mail me useful links for biggining players. thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@tamuka)
Eminent Member

Dingo,

You might want to fret harder the farther your fingers are from the fret. That being said, the problem could be with your guitar. I don't know how much its worth, but I have a $70 and and $400 guitar, and needless to say the cheapo sounds awful (muffled tones, buzz vibes, etc.) Check the repairs/maintenance forums to see other possible causes and solutions.

ReplyQuote
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The guitar im using is a epiphone les paul studio.. paid about $470 can or about $400 us for it...

I think the actions too high.. how would I lower it?

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

It could be the action and it could be that you don't have calluses on your fingers yet. If you bought the guitar locally, I'd think the store would check and adjust the action for you for free. People, when they first start often have trouble sounding notes clearly because of soft finger tips.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Funny.. I was just going to ask if my fingers are suppost to hurt like a bitch after playing for 6 hours straight..

BTW. Ive now had my guitar for 4 days and I know the chords a,c,d,e,g and a7,c7,d7,e7,g7 and the power chords d5,g5 and e5.. howerver now my fingers hurt and they have imprented lines where I have freted alot.. and my notes still sound like crap unless I press REALLY hard..

p.s. My store has a one year waranty and one free setup that I can use at anytime within that year.. should I use it now or save it for later?

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Get it setup now. Your fingers will toughen up in a month or so. If your fingers start to hurt while your practicing, take a break.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote