Notifications
Clear all

Furniture and posture question

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vinniex)
Topic starter  

Does someone make an ideal stool or something that is specifically designed for good posture and comfortable seated guitar playing? If so, where can one be located?

Preferably it would be one with thick enough cushions or such that would not cut off circulation so that your foot goes asleep - I hate that tingling you get when that happens.

I ask because I notce that things like keyboard benches and the edge of the bed seem a little too low and after awhile I get back pains that I can only assume are due to being forced to contort somewhat to hold the guitar in a good playing position. Playing on the couch is a little more comfortable, but still isn't quite right. Another thing I notice is that certain stools may be at a good height for guitar playing, but after a couple of hours of practice they leave my tail bone seriously aching!

I'd like to have some way to remedy this so it doesn't hinder my practice. Any ideas? :?: :?:

(@alangreen)

To be honest, I find a standard upright dining chair is ideal - whack my left foot up on a footstool, guitar over left leg and it's not only rock solid but at the correct position to play.

If that doesn't quite work for you, try a drummer's stool or something that you can wind up or down (but not an office chair on wheels)

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

Holy crap. I usually plays sitting on an office chair with wheels. Why is that bad?

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I use a QuikLok Musician seat with the backrest. The seat, backrest, and foot-peg are adjustable.

The following link has a picture:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D749/

I purchased the item at my local Music Center.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Holy crap. I usually plays sitting on an office chair with wheels. Why is that bad?

Cos it rolls about too much and half your energy is spent keeping it iin one place.

:wink:

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Try Jamie's site, Guitar principles. A lot of good info there. I just switched and use the classical positon with my electric. I bought a stool at target and a small pad for the stool and use this and also try to sit straight as I slouch a lot. This has helped me rid some soulder pain and sore back, but it does take time. FYI stool was $15, pad was $5. I use a custom made foot stool aout of what I had in the garage. :)

John M

ReplyQuote