Clear all

Gain?

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

My amp has gain on it,burt what is that ? because i look edon the net to hear the sounds of different pedals and found that you can get distortion gain pedals. Also i saw a pedal called distortion/overdrive are they the same thing ?

(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Gain on your amp is basically to control how much distortion you want on the .sound Most amps have a special distortion where you use the gain knob to adjust the amount of distortion you want. An distortion/overdrive just allows to you to have overdrive and distortion all in one pedal instead of having 2 pedals.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yup. gain is a knob on your amp that cn give you sound grunge otr dirt. it basically breaks up your clean single giving you an overdrive sound.
you can set it with your master control or volume knob to have overdrive at a low vloume setting. it's good for sonic blasting in your bedroom wqithout bothering anyone.

distortion and overdrive are a bit different.
overdrive is like an amp that is canked. it produces a warm flabby dirty tone.
distortion is more like metal stuff. tighter dirt tone, but way more than overdrive.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

yup. gain is a knob on your amp that cn give you sound grunge otr dirt. it basically breaks up your clean single giving you an overdrive sound.
you can set it with your master control or volume knob to have overdrive at a low vloume setting. it's good for sonic blasting in your bedroom wqithout bothering anyone.

distortion and overdrive are a bit different.
overdrive is like an amp that is canked. it produces a warm flabby dirty tone.
distortion is more like metal stuff. tighter dirt tone, but way more than overdrive.

Yes distortion is much more muddier , crankier and distortier :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yes distortion is much more muddier , crankier and distortier :twisted:
....kinda sounds like my Monday mornings.... for without my Muddy Coffee I get crankier and distortier... :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Basically distortion is the result of overdriving components in your setup, distortion is NOT a different sound then overdrive. In tube amps for example you overdrive tubes to get the distorted/overdriven sound, which is the same thing. In pedalland companies refer to overdrive for low-gain sounds and distortion for higher-gain sounds. A bit like the 'Fender tremolo bridge' misnamer.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There are other methods of producing distortion aside from overdriving amplifier stages. Diode clipping, for example.

Marshall and others have used solid state clipping diodes to produce distortion in tube amps, BTW.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Arjen is correct, distortion is a general term for non-linearity (basically non-faithful signal conveyance or amplification). Some makers have co-opted the term for their own use, but is means nothing more than the output signal does not accurately represent the input signal. Forms of amplitude distortion include saturation, overdrive, clipping and others. Even these terms are not so distinct from each other. For example, technically speaking, overdrive can lead to saturation in the form of clipping. It's a semantic mess created by marketeers. More useful terms are suggested above, such as "soft output tube saturation" or "hard diode clipping" or "input tube stage soft overdrive," as these are more descriptive of what is taking place and actually have distinct characteristics. But every one of these is distortion.

And just to be clear -- gain is not distortion; gain is the process of making a signal larger. This sometimes causes overdrive, clipping, saturation or other various distortions in subsequent stages, but is not in itself the distortion. Amps with high levels of gain (meaning signal amplification, not distortion, not acoustic loudness) can drive its later stages deeper into distortion, hence the "high gain" and "low gain" characterizations of overdrive. The gain knob or switch is very similar to another volume control or volume booster located in one of the amplifier's intermediate stages.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You can learn about distortion in detail.Lots of links on net.Just google 'distortion and find out' Yes distortion can be of any signal and its most easy to learn by distorting a pure sine or cosine wave.

ReplyQuote