Skip to content
Getting off your bu...

Notifications
Clear all

Getting off your butt and playing standing up!

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@gazehound)
Topic starter  

I can't seem to play the guitar standing up. I can play when I'm in the sitting position, but when I try to stand and play, it's all different. What am I doing wrong and how can I correct this? Is this a common problem with others? Thanks :D

(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

for me it is a matter of how the fretoard is positioned... meaning that when i sit i find (right or wrong) that i tend to hold the guitar in such a way that the top (low e) is closer to me than the bottom (high e)... i have been playing about a year so there are time that i still need to look at the neck as i finger a particular chord

i think that if you are standing (and with a strap) the guitar will hang a it more naturally, or straighter, in terms of its profile

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Gazehound:

You need to angle the head of the neck upwards. This will make playing standing up easier. Basically you want it to have the same angle as when you are sitting down. So angle that neck up. As others have said, it may "look cool" to have the guitar really low, but you its better for most to play it at a mid-level, with the head tilted sky-wards.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

gazehound,

Absolutely normal,well at least for me it was. When I first started I never stood up and played because it felt soooo awkward.

So for the first year I always played sitting down. I didn't ever play standing up until I met a guy to jam with and I went over his house and there weren't any chairs to sit down on so I was forced to play standing up.

It wasn't a great 1st jam since everthing felt foreign to me. So I made it a point to just start practicing everyday. After a couple weeks I was fine and you will be too just don't rush it ti will happen.

Whatever your practice routine is now just incorporate some of it while standing.

Now I actually prefer to stand. The only problem I have sometimes is I like to keep my guitar on the low side and it does make some fingerings more difficult.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@alpaca_turned_blue)
Eminent Member

This is a stupid question, but how do you wear the strap correctly?

ReplyQuote
(@shift)
Estimable Member

Alpaca,

Your strap position is all about what is comfortable to you. You see lots of people use their strap in very low postion because it looks cool, makes for a bad position to me.Mine is slightly lower than sitting position, just because that is comfortable to me.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, strap it on so it sits about where it does when you're sitting. And you'll find that the more comfortable you are playing -- the better you're able to change chords without needing to look at the fretboard, etc. -- the easier the transition will be. If it's too much of a headache now, keep playing sitting for a few more months and then give it a try. Eventually you'll be comfortable enough playing that the transition won't be hard at all. Then you may find that you prefer playing standing.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gazehound)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice. I have never given any thought to where my Guitar is located in relation to my body when I'm sitting down. From a quick look when I'm sitting, my fret board is a little angled. I will have to work on keeping that relationship when I stand up. (This is going to require adjustments to my beer belly. :D ) One other thing is that I dont ever use my strap when I'm sitting down. I've played this way for years now and I finally want to stand up and play (like everyone else) and its amazing how much I feel like a day two beginner. But you know, thats why I like playing and learning the Guitar. I doesnt matter what you want to learn like scales, cord progressions, beginnings of your favorite songs, or even different styles of playing. The Guitar will challenge you, what was once hard is now easier. There is so much to learn on the guitar. What a great instrument.

ReplyQuote