Upstrokes

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@katrina85)
Topic starter  

Hello again!
Ok, new question guys.

I am having trouble doing upstrokes. Is it best to do it with a pick or with fingers? Im gradually getting better at playing, i reckon perhaps im a fraction of a second faster at changing chords now. But im not doing as well as id hoped.

Am building up nice pads on the ends of my fingers so i can 'train' for slightly longer than i was! which is good. And since I bought some picks i noticed that my general strumming has improved to, for those of you who read my last post.

Its just now iv come across up strokes and they really sound rather rubbish when i do them!
Im also havin probs with the D note. I think its because I dont have enough strength in my hand that im having trouble with keepin all three fingers down on the fret board enough. This is the one thats buzzing a fair bit. Is a little frustrating, but i assume that the more i practise that will eventually go! :?

"The mind is like a parachute - it works better when its opened"

(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member

In one tutorial I've got it says it's often better to just play the bottom (high e) sting on upstrokes and it makes a subsequent down-stroke 'cleaner'.

So really there's no definate method. I use a pick though....

ReplyQuote
(@jonnyt)
Reputable Member

Use a pick at this point unless the song you are playing is played with fingers. You should be shooting for even volume from all strings strummed, and a steady up - down strum. Keep your wrist straight and move your fore arm and hand as one unit.

You can build finger strength away from the guitar by using the Grip Master finger exercise device...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=41/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/429070/

Might be available at your local music store.

Hope that helps!

E doesn't = MC2, E = Fb

Music "Theory"? "It's not just a theory, it's the way it is!"

Jonny T.

ReplyQuote