Clear all

Getting Started

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@babs22110)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a guitar but I do not know how to play. I try to teach myself but it doesnt work. Does anyone know where I can find a good teacher in ohio.? If you could help me that would be greatly appreciated. :P

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Finding a teacher isnt usually very tough but finding a teacher that you click with and that is a decent instructor can be a challenge for sure. It probably wont be the first person you find. I would start by looking at the craigslist ads for your area, checking the local music shops, and checking with the music teacher in your local schools. Usually a first lesson will be free so that you can just get to know the person a little bit.

Finding the right teacher is a bit like finding a spouse. There are plenty of fish in the ocean, but most of them you either wanna eat or get eaten by. Keep searching until you find someone that you feel comfortable with.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@babs22110)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thankx Jim.
That was ver informative.
I will try to find a good teacher that i click with.
I do have an uncle that is a beast at guitar.
Maybe i will try him

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

You bet! Nothing says you have to stick with the same teacher forever either. I imagine at some point in time we out grow them. I havent done that yet, but I would think it happens. Get your uncle to help start you out while you are looking for someone to get you further. Really at the end of the day it is mostly about practicing but you want to make sure the things you are practicing are good habits I suppose.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@babs22110)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yea the problem about me though is that I start to practice but then i stop because i think it sounds bad, so i dont get anything done. I am hoping to become noticed by time im at least 17.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

When it sounds bad, what you really should do is just slow it down and figure out where the problem is. The only way to make it sound better is to keep practicing.. else you might get noticed in ways you dont want too. :) :) :)

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

your comment,
"I am hoping to become noticed by time im at least 17."
is a problem if this is your sole motivation.

many of us here are players just for the joy of playing, some of us are a lot more serious than that.
either way, practice is the only thing that will advance you to the point that you like what you hear.
examine the reason you want to learn to play guitar and look at the endevour with long term goals in mind, but approach it with the thought that short term goals are the way to get there.

learn the notes on the fretboard, learn basic chords, learn scales, apply these to basic theory and before you know it you will be making music that pleases you.
all it takes to play many songs are 2-3 chords and practice.
good luck and welcome to GN

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

There is a site http://www.musicstaff.com that I used several years ago, I assume its still available. You can entr your location and instrument and find local teachers.

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Yea the problem about me though is that I start to practice but then i stop because i think it sounds bad, so i dont get anything done. I am hoping to become noticed by time im at least 17.

Just remember what Tom Petty said in his song: So you want to be a rock'n'roll star :wink:

So you want to be a rock 'n' roll star?
Well listen now, hear what I say
Just get an electric guitar
Take some time
And learn how to play

And when your hair swung right,
And your pants get tight
It's gonna be alright

Well then it's time to go downtown
To the agent man won't let you down
Sell your soul to some company
Who are waiting there to sell plastic ware
And in a week or two if you make the charts
The girls will tear you apart

It's the price you pay for your riches and fame,
Was it all a strange game?
You're a little insane
The money that came, and the public acclaim,
Don't forget what you are,
You're a rock 'n' roll star

Welcome to GN by the way
:wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Yea the problem about me though is that I start to practice but then i stop because i think it sounds bad, so i dont get anything done.

I'm going to quote what my guitar teacher said to me all those years ago when I voiced the same complaint. He said, "Of course it sounds bad. You don't know how to play yet. It's going to keep sounding bad until you learn how to make it sound good. Practice is the only way to accomplish that." Then he'd take a drag off his Pall Mall and say, "Now, do it again, without the whiny part."

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Just remember what Tom Petty said in his song: So you want to be a rock'n'roll star :wink:

So you want to be a rock 'n' roll star?
Well listen now, hear what I say
Just get an electric guitar
Take some time
And learn how to play

And when your hair swung right,
And your pants get tight
It's gonna be alright

Well then it's time to go downtown
To the agent man won't let you down
Sell your soul to some company
Who are waiting there to sell plastic ware
And in a week or two if you make the charts
The girls will tear you apart

It's the price you pay for your riches and fame,
Was it all a strange game?
You're a little insane
The money that came, and the public acclaim,
Don't forget what you are,
You're a rock 'n' roll star

Welcome to GN by the way

Me thinks that song is probably older than Tom Petty :)

ReplyQuote
(@babs22110)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all you have helped me alot..

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

(...)

Welcome to GN by the way

Me thinks that song is probably older than Tom Petty :)

The Byrds?

I don't have that version, just the Tom Petty one but it still a nice song :)

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote