Clear all

gibson pickups

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

what is the difference between a Gibson Classic 57 PAF pickup and a Gibson Classic 57 pickup? What does PAF mean?

(@rocker)
Noble Member

PAF means patent applied for , so they always called it the paf 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

PAF or Patent Applied For pickups were some of the first humbuckers mfg. by Gibson. The amount of windings varied between pickups and even the coils and some of them had a stronger signal than others. Also the magnets had a bearing on them. The sound of these pickups are very desirable to some people. Original PAF's have sold for hundreds of dollars, Gibson and other pickup mfg's are duplicating these old pickups, how successful they are is a matter of opinion, I don't know myself having never played a set of originals but the reissue's sound pretty good to me, a classic rock kind of sound. Think Led Zep.

I'm not sure if there's a difference between the two though.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok another question...today I dropped my lp on the floor and one of the tuners broke :(

so I decided to buy some new ones off ebay.

they are called style vintage tuners. will they be ok for my guitar?

here's the ebay link for the exact kind I ordered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLUSON-STYLE-LES-PAUL-GUITAR-TUNERS-NICKEL-CHROME-NEW_W0QQitemZ290076226006QQihZ019QQcategoryZ41434QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

They look okay to me but I don't think that they are original Klusons. Price is right. If they fit exactly like the original tuners they'll probabily work well.

I think a set of genuine Klusons will set you back about $40 or $50. Check with Stew_Mac or Musicians Friends. Or see if theres a Gibson dealer near you. Also, if theres any repair shops around see if they have a spare laying around, also don't get rid of the tuners you take off, keep them with the guitar.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well I'm not going to worry about getting any new tuners now. I already spent $40 on these ones and they can't be any worse then the stock epiphone ones I'm pretty sure.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think those will work. Too bad about the drop. You should look at strap locks. I dropped my first Les Paul and dented the head stock. Ever since I have strap locks on all my guitars.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I hope they will work too. I don't have the money right now for new ones so ya. How much are strap locks and what exactly are they?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Strap locks are strap buttons where your strap attaches to your guitar. They replace the ones that come on your guitar. There are two basic kinds. They hold your strap on your guitar so that you need to push a button to get it off. I'm assuming your guitar jumped off the strap. If it fell from leaning it against something then you need a guitar stand. Strap locks cost $12 - $15. Schaller and Dunlop are the kinds I use.

Dunlops

Schaller

One part attaches to your strap, the other replaces the strap button on the guitar. I found that Les Paul style guitars do not stay on the strap well.

Other options are Dimarzio where a piece of strap screws to your guitar under the button and the rest of the strap clicks together and there are straps with plastic clips built into them so the hold the standard strap buttons better.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote