Clear all

Godin LG...good choice?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, I posted a while ago that I was looking to spend about 600 dollars canadian on my first electric. Anyways, things have changed, I've saved alot more (I have $1130 saved.) So, I went to my local vintage/used guitar shop today, as I frequently visit it, and played a Godin I've been looking at for a while. I thought the neck was really smooth, had good tone and sustain, and just an overall nice feel with some low action. played it against an 86' gibson les paul custom, I felt this one was nicer. The price is $800 canadian +tax, so it would $920 if I didn't talk them into lowering it a bit (I was thinking of making an offer of $850 in cash.) So my question is, is this a good choice for a first electric? (I've been playing classical for a while now), or should I spend some more cash and get something else? This guitar was made in 2001, Godin LG and apparently there were only one hundred of this specific guitar made(this is 9 of 100), does anyone know what specifc model this would entail? Anyways, any advice is appreciated, and a plus for buying a bit less expenbsive of a guitar is that I would have some cash left over to strart saving for a good amp.

Edit: incase it wasn't obvious, I'm the kind of guy who likes to buy a nice thing once...I'm hoping to buy something that I'll always be satisfied with. Also the pickups were two single coil seymour duncans.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Definitly get it.. If it feels the best to you, and you like the sound go for it.. Godin definatly has a great reputation for making guitars with brands like Seagull, etc.. So, yes, it would be a good purchase.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oh yeah, you might wanna price check that... I don't know what the price is in Canada, but its always safe to look for a price on a new one and decide if its worth it... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I don't know much about Godins, except that the ones I've played seemed pretty nice and consistent. Not going to offer up anything on that... however when you talk about LP's, that's my field! :lol:

I'd tell anyone, no matter who they are to spend at least a month reading the Les Paul Forum before they bought a Les Paul. There really is soooo much to know, lots of things to look for, lots of things to check before you buy. At the very least, you can snap some pics of the guitar and put it up there with the price and get some truly expert opinions on the deal, and without a doubt learn at least 3 things you didn't know about the guitar in question.

They can tell at a glance if any original parts were swapped out, if the year is actually what it's claimed to be and give you a true fair market value. Be sure to get the serial too.

Not too long ago somebody bought an SG of eBay, turned out it had been refinished and had a replacement body! :shock: To me... it just looked pretty, but a few of the guys could tell even from the crappy ebay shots that the contours were out of Gibson spec! :( It was being advertised as a '65 and all original.

So yeah, utilize your resources!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. Yoyo, the canadian dollar is about 80 cents american. So just multiply the number I gave by .8 and you'll have the rough USD value. Sooo, after tax it's about 720, and if I offer them 850 it'd be 680 USD. I've been looking at prices and I'm not sure this is necessarily the store to go to for a godin... I'll have to look into it a bit more, but I really wanted to buy this tomorrow :D That being said, there were only 100 of these made and they may be bringing up the price because of that. Like I said, I look into it, but any info on the pricing part is also appreciated.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote