Going public ...

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys

On average, how long does it take before someone starts feeling comfortable with the guitar to the extent of playing in public?
I know there are a lot of factors and the answer could range from 2 months to 2 years. However, what would you say for the average case.

Thanks, as always.

Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

(@b0ttleneck)

It took me about 6 months, and then I just started taking my guitar to various places and playing. You don't have to play in a coffeehouse or a bar, I started off taking my car to the park and playing with people around, then I took my guitar to a starbucks and just sat in the corner during an off peak time (I asked the manager if it was cool.) I've been doing that for a couple months and am to the point where I'm totally comfortable. I'm still not a good player, but one day I'll think I'll be glad that I started playing in front of people when I did.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I think this depends on the person even more than most questions that get that answer. I bet some people learn three chords and are ready to go show off! Most of us take longer to get comfortable. You may have to push yourself if you're not naturally the type to put yourself out there.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Wel.. all personal.If you can believe that there is no public even when it is around you , i mean you get that fear of people looking at you or hearing you, then you can perform naturally

Btw , tomorrow i am going in a college function to perform solo on guitar and sing too ...and i have been playing since 8 months :wink:

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

i've been playing for about a year, but i'm not ready yet! :):)

ReplyQuote
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member

I started playing in public basically as soon as I could play scales and write songs....that took me about 6 months. I had no guitar teacher but I'd played piano for about 6 years so I guessed that helped.....If you're thinking about going public then get in a more experienced band where you can be supported by other musicians. That way if you are a little nervous and make a few mistakes then its no big deal like it is if you're on your own....

Alex

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5328/guitarsig6bw.gif

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Alex has some good advice,if you surround yourself with good musicians there will be less pressure to be perfect.

I've been playing for 3 years now and I still wouldn't feel comfortable up there unless I was with a bunch of other people.

But I do plan on doing it someday.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I suppose everybody is different. I started on guitar about age 17. My younger brother started at the same time. We formed a group with two school buddies. In our case, we couldn't wait to perform. We were lousy of course, but in our minds we thought we were great. Our first "gig" was performing in my buddie's driveway for about 20 of the kids in the neighborhood. That was probably about 3 months after starting guitar. It was a blast.

But some people really suffer from stage fright for some reason, even good, experienced musicians.

I dunno, I look at it as fun. Also, I try to see it from the listener's point of view. When I go to see someone perform, I am not there to criticize or make fun of them. I hope they will play to the best of their abilities. And I think most people feel like this. So, everyone is there hoping you do well. They are rooting for you.

I think it is important to be able to play a song well from beginning to end. The song does not need to be difficult at all. People don't care about that. But it is not good to "noodle" in front of people.

If you play just one song in front of people, but play it perfectly, people will be left with the impression that you can play any song well. But if you perform five songs poorly in front of people, they will be left with the impression that you can't play any song well.

So, that is my advice. Get a couple of songs, maybe 3 or 4 that you can play well from beginning to end. Then play in front of people. But when you are finished, find some way not to keep playing.

This is not fake or anything like that. It is simply putting your best foot forward. It is no different than dressing up for a date. You certainly wouldn't want a new girlfriend to see what you look like when you wake up. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I first performed in public after a month of practicing. I knew three chords G,C,D. I played with a friend who is a very accomplished guitarist. When I look back at it now I was really bad, but nobody complained. I often think I was the only one who knew the mistakes I made. I think people who don't play can't tell when you make a mistake and people who do play have been in your shoes at one time, so they don't say. I would encourage everyone to play for an audience as soon as possible. For me it's one of the things that makes play worthwhile and if you can sing it's even better.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@onion_dav)
Eminent Member

yeah i agree... i played after a couple of months in front of about a hundred people, got most of it wrong but it didnt matter cos no one else noticed and i had fun.

'i want that one...'

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It's far more about the personality behind the guitar than the skill on the guitar.

There are people who love to be in front of folks, no matter how meager their talents. There are people who are phenominal, great musicians with few peers who can't stand to be in front of a crowd because they don't feel confident enough.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Guys.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

It is no different than dressing up for a date. You certainly wouldn't want a new girlfriend to see what you look like when you wake up.

...Well that explains it!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote