Guitar Case Preference

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Ryan
(@ryan)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into buying a good hard shell case for my acoustic so I can travel with it over the holiday season, and was wondering if there are any suggestions on what to look for when shopping around. Is there anything important to know about padding, case material, etc? I was thinking of getting one in the $100 range. Any brand-name suggestions?

P.S. This is by far the best guitar forum and website I have found on the web...almost too good to be true!

(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

First of all, welcome to GN.

If you intend to travel in a car with the guitar, you'll only need a good gig bag. If you intend to fly, then get the best case you can - preferably an ATA case, which is built to withstand the tender treatment meted out by airport baggage handlers.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Ryan
(@ryan)
Topic starter  

Thanks for your suggestions. Does anyone have any experience with using "Gator" brand cases?

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Not personally, Ryan - but I have a South African friend who regularly flies between SA & the UK with her fine Yamaha electro-acoustic in a Gator, in the hold, and she's never had a minute's problem. Doesn't even do anything special - just pops the guitar in, locks the case, and sticks on the label. The case doesn't even look particularly rough after quite a few trips. Must say something!

ReplyQuote