Clear all

Good days and bad days

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Everyone has good days and bad days, and I'm posting cause I'm having one of those good days, a lot of things have been coming together lately with guitar playing and music in general, and, I just did my first bit of lead guitar (in my bedroom, not on stage), now it's nothing to incredible, but it's practical use of those silly scales that everyone thinks are so important and though I was playing somewhat randomly with no regard at all to the chords played on the rhythm track, it did end up sounding pretty good, not good enough to go through the trouble to upload and share with anyone good, not even save a copy for later good, but good enough that I no longer look at lead guitar as a total mystery. I ignored the chords, but I did not ignore the rhythm itself btw. It's gettin real close to that point where I'm going to have to start thinking of myself as a solid guitar player, now if I can just get my ear skills to a reasonable level it'll be time to join a band or at least find some people I can jam with on a regular basis.

If I can just get myself to put some time in every day on trying to transcribe songs, I'll be set, I only aim to be a 'competant' guitar player, but the ear skills I aim to become a phenom at (that goal might be unrealistic considering I suck at it now... but I'm improving).

(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

Congrats,

feels good when things start to click huh? Now try and realize what notes your playing over which chords. Let me restate this,- realize which notes make up the chords you're playing over, and then concentrate on playing those notes in your lead. Then when the chord progression changes, you can change to the notes in the new chord.

But, you can play the other notes, there's no right way of doing things. So if an A chord is being played, you can concentrate on the 3 notes that mainly make up an A, but can still play the other notes in the scale.

Hope this makes sense, it's hard for me to describe without a guitar and me actually showing you what I mean.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Congrats on the progress.

It might be a good idea to record yourself regularly even if nobody else is ever going to hear it. In six months time when you are going through a bad day dig out your recordings and see how far you have come. Suddenly the bad day may not seem so bad. :wink:

We are always going to go through good days and bad days - it's what makes the learning experience more rewarding IMO.

Just keep enjoying your playing and keep up the good work.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

yeah man!!!!!

i love the good days.........

3 minutes of greatness cancels out 3 MONTHS of graft 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I play bass too so I'm not completely unaware of how chords are put together (even before that I had spent time on it but now it's becoming ingrained). I'm not quite quick enough with the chords to easily realize which notes to play to stay within the chord though the chord shapes for the bass (from david's book) can go a long way towards that since it applies on guitar as long as you stay clear of that B string that throws it all off.

I record myself on a regular basis since it's easier to hear back what I play (look for mistakes and timing issues, and so I can try to play several tracks with myself/check tone), I don't tend to keep much of that stuff unless I come up with something I like.

ReplyQuote