Clear all

Good Times Bad Times

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sgt-pepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well ive gone pretty far into this song, the only parts i have left are the two sections of the solo containing those annoying 16th note triplets.

Right now i am just practicing the part on a metronome and building up to tempo, but can you all point out some pointers for this. Any suggestion will be helpful, because this gradual build to tempo will take quite a while (even though theres no rush).

Thanks in advance, help me complete this fun little song :D

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, you are already doing it the right way. Just start at a comfortable speed and go for accuracy. Not seeing the tab I don't know if it's picked, hammered-on, pulled-off etc...

Once you have it down, speed up the metronome maybe 4 beats per minute. Just proceed in this manner until you are up to full speed. Be patient, you'll get it. Keep your fretting fingers close to the fretboard and your picking motion as small as possible. Distance=Time.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sgt-pepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry for not giving out all the details.

Sadly the riffs are not done in hammer-ons/pull-offs, while i am not exactly sure on how to plot down a the measure in tab form ill link it :
http://www.fretplay.com/tabs/l/led_zeppelin/good_times_bad_times-tab.shtml

The riff (starting on the14th fret 5th string, gradually making it to the high e string) can be played at times with hammer-on/pull-offs; however, for me atleast doing so interrupts the flow of the notes, as not everything can be played in the same manner when it is sometimes necessary to alternate strings. And from this there is the problem, without being able to hammer away, picking each note at that speed may take a good while of practice... :shock:

The same kind of pattern is also done introducing the second part of the solo and finishing the song off.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow,

That's a pretty tough tab to follow. I was a big student of Jimmy Page when I was young, I'm sure I've spent time on this solo. All I can tell you is that it is very normal for Jimmy to use both hammer-ons and pull-offs when playing fast runs. 99.94% (like IvorySoap) chance that is how he played this solo. So that might make it a little easier.

With a difficult to read tab like this I would play along with the recording and work on one phrase at a time. That is a big secret to learning any solo by ear. Just listen for phrases. Learn one at a time and put them all together. Phrases are just like sentences. No one usually speaks in rambling run on sentences, and lead guitar is the same. You can hear the player as they go from one idea to the next. Then just use the tab for a reference. To be fair, it is almost impossible to tab solos perfectly.

You picked a tough one. But stay at it, you'll get it.

Rock On

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the links Metaellihead. Cool sites, I had no idea they existed.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here's a tab that looks pretty good (except for the color). It has more details on technique. There is also a PowerTab version of this song and many others at this site. It is great. You should be able to slow the tempo down and learn it at slow speed. Go to home and click on TABS.

Good Times Bad Times

ReplyQuote
(@sgt-pepper)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well if anyone is looking for a challenge, hopefully this will hit the spot, :D

Thanks everyone

P.S.

The solo was pretty easy to figure out by ear, except i shamefully cheated on those two riffs(tabs). This brings another question, i guess eventually it will be possible to figure something like that out by ear, but being that fast how does anyone hear the notes?

ReplyQuote