Guitar to loud

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Is it possible to make an acoustic nylon stringed guitar sound less? :? I live in an appartment with very thin walls and I work very odd hours. So the only time I have to practice is at night. The neighbours are geting cranky...

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I don't have an acoustic but can't you put something in the sound hole to deaden it..

Or do what I do. Practice with an electric that's not plugged in. Late at night when it's quiet you'd be suprised how loud it is.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I thought about the electric guitar solution, but I dont own an electric guitar. I dont think I can afford one at the moment.

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Cubone

Something for you to try. Get some foam (like your sofa is stuffed with) cut it roughly to the shape of your guitar body. Slacken off your strings and stuff the foam inside the body of your guitar. Retune strings. Hey presto, one very quiet guitar!

All the (quiet) best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I thougt of that. The only trouble is when I want to play at day time. But Maybe Ill have to live with it. Its not that hard changing the strings.
(Maybe I could find a cheap old guitar to stuff instead.
*Runs out to the musikstore*)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Cubone, just for you I did a test last night and cut a piece of foam rubber just slightly larger than the sound hole about an inch thick and placed it in the sound hole. Made a big difference in the volume.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

What I do sometimes is take a sheet of paper hand towel, fold in fourths and then make a little 'roll' out of it and place it under the strings right against the front of the bridge. I kind of push it back and turn it until the paper is muting the strings right as they come off the front of the saddle, and when I play, though the notes will obviously not have any sustain, they're really quiet. It's good for when you're practising something like classical tremolo where you really can't do it soft and really have to dig into the strings to get the finger muscles strong. Same with doing finger picking styles.

Give it a try. You could use cloth too, just so it mutes the strings from underneath.

ReplyQuote
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanx everybody, great tips.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Ive never heard of making an acoustic guitar quieter... Im sure glad i dont live in an apartment.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote