7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Just in front of the bridge pins on my guitar there is an off white piece of plastic that sits into a ridge on the bridge. Firstly I don't know if I have this the wrong way round or not as it fits in both ways. Does it matter which way it sits into the bridge?

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The piece you are referring to is called the saddle.

If the saddle is a "compensated saddle" like the one in this picture, then it matters which way it goes.
Generally the low e string will be "compensated" to be a bit longer than the high e

On a non-compensated saddle the top will be slightly rounded, but that's all. I suppose it is possible that some guitars might have the bass end sit a little higher than the treble end.
If both ends are the same height, then it shouldn't matter which way 'round it goes.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, thanks forn the info! - Just double checked, and mine is like your picture but I got mine the wrong way round. Bad news is I just replaced the strings. If the saddle is the wrong way round (like mine...doh) will this be really bad for the guitar and or the quality of the sound?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I doubt you have the saddle the 'wrong way around'.
saddles are typically glued into a tight slot. they sit in up 1/4".
it is rare when they come loose enough to remove and turn end for end.
new strings sound weird until they settle in. you probably didn't mess up
anything down at the bridge.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

If in fact you did put the saddle in backwards, just loosen the strings enough to remove the bridge pins and switch the saddle back. You should be okay then.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

If its backwards it will be almost to get the proper intonation, you can tune the first fret and all the others will be out of sync. Whenever I remove a saddle I usually look for the indentation which should be under the B string(see prior posters photo)

Eric

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Sorry left out the word impossible after almost :oops:

ReplyQuote