7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

Just been changing my strings again which is nothing unusual and didn't break any!!!.... :D ....that's progress. However there was an odd experience where one of the black pegs at the bridge end flew out of the guitar across the room!!!

I thought the string had snapped but it hadn't as it was this black peg which secures the strings into the bridge. This happened twice and hopefully this is third time lucky!!! as it's stayed in this time! - This happened when tuning the guitar after just adding new strings.

I was wandering if there was something wrong with the guitar or whether the black peg wasn't pushed in properly. Sorry for calling it the black peg but I've forgotten it's proper name... :lol:

Any help / answers / advice welcome and as I'm still a newbie I do expect odd things to happen from time to time. On the playing front I can now change chords a little more easily and the Jamorama learning website has proved very useful.

Thanks

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Bridge Pin is the word and your guitar is likely fine. They can fly out like that if they are not seated well. :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

The bridge pins are suppoosed to wedge the string against the side of the hole, sometimes we don't do it right and the ball end of the string is held below the pin not next to it. When you tighten up on the string it builds tension and then the pin is released.

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies!

Some of the bridge pins are larger whilst some are smaller - At least thats the way it looks. Does it make any difference?

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

As long as they fit securely, its only a matter of cosmetics.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I put the ball end in the bridge and push in the bridge pin and pull the string up while still holding down the pin until the string seats. Then just keep an eye on it as you tune the string, and if the pin starts to raise up, just push it back down.

Denny

ReplyQuote
 rip
(@rip)
Eminent Member

I have found that if I kink (bend) the string end (ball end) just a tiny bit, it helps the string to slide up the pin once inserted.

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

ReplyQuote