Clear all

Guitar frets buzzing - what to adjust?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@flycast)
Topic starter  

Question 1:
I have been learning how to adjust my electric. It's a Washburn Delta King. The neck truss rod seems good and free (not glitchy when I adjust). The bridge height is adjustable. The pickups are adjustable.

The problems is that it seems to buzz slightly when I fret in the mid rages: fret 5-7 on both E's and on various frets on the other strings in the 5ish to 9ish frets. When I fret in the low frets (1-4) it does not buzz.

I am trying to achieve the lowest string action possible.

Can someone experienced with guitar adjustments please let me know what adjustment I should be looking at performing?

Question 2:
When I fret the strings completly to the wood between the frets it tends to change the pitch to be a little sharp. Should I be looking at buying a fret file and filing these down? Are there specifications for fret height?

Thanks,
Eric

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hi Eric and Welcome to GuitarNoise.

Keep that file away from your nice guitar. :roll:

Sounds like your neck has too much relief. It is curved upward like a smile. So when you fret a note in the middle frets the string touches a fret higher up the neck. So you probably need to tighten the truss rod slightly. Loosen all the strings first. Take note of the exact position of the truss rod so you can always return to the original position if necessary. Turn the truss rod clockwise about 1/8 turn only. Now retune and see if the buzz is gone. If not, loosen the strings and try another small adjustment.

The opposite condition is when the truss rod is too tight. This forces the headstock down, your neck is shaped like a frown. This usually causes fret buzz in frets 1-5.

But when the fret buzz occurs when you fret between the 5-12 frets, that is usually when the truss rod is too loose.

Here is a site with pics.

http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.shtml

If the pitch is changing when you fret, either your action is too high, or you are applying too much force.

Try adjusting the truss rod first. Then readjust your action. Then try a little lighter touch when fretting. Should solve the problem.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@flycast)
Topic starter  

Wes:
Thanks, it's like having a brand new guitar that plays a lot better than the old one! All it took is an hour or so of working at it and patience and now I understand more about how my guitar works.
Thanks again,
Eric

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Eric

I'm glad that it worked out. Adjusting the truss rod is not difficult once you understand how tightening and loosening the rod affects the neck. It is all common sense really. And once you know how to adjust the neck relief you will be able to set up your guitar exactly how you like. :D

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote