Clear all

Mic stand Stuck? (no, really)

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Proline mic stand and a Shure Mic. The mic stand has on its end a little metal/chrome piece that screws into the mic holder (that comes with the SM57). I screwed in the mic holder really tightly (not wanting to have my new mic drop to the floor{, and when I unscrewed the mic holder, the metal chrome piece went along for the ride is now attached to the holder and not the boom. Now for the beginner question: Does this mean now that this mic holder and stand can only be used with each other?

This isn't the exact stand, but the metal thing kind of looks like that.

But looking at some other random stands, they don't come with a metal chrome thing so I'm hoping the metal thing was just decoration and is actually the same size as the original metal attachment (which means I didn't do something dumb)

Anyways, that's my dumb question o' the week.

Thanks!

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The metal chrome piece that you refer to. Does it look a bit like this?

It's just an adapter. With appropriate tools you should be able to get it out of the clip.
Alternately (or if you damage it trying to get it out of the clip) you can buy a replacemet fairly cheap.
It's a standard part. Any music shop with a reasonably well stocked PA department should have them.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

A wrench was able to get the piece off... It turns out that in this case it really is just a fancy extender piece. The microphone holder seems to attach to the stand itself without the chrome piece just fine.

Very strange.

ReplyQuote