Skip to content
Guitar instruction ...

Notifications
Clear all

Guitar instruction vs. Golf instruction...

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@john-kline)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I'm pretty much self-taught in both, and I don't have time to commit to weekly guitar lessons. It would be nice if I was working on something or needed help on an area I could just set up an appointment and tell the instructor my needs. I just was thinking of golf because although I've become a single digit handicap by being self-taught I still on occasion meet with a pga pro if I'm working on something specific or need some advice on an area...

John

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

John,

Now I'm really jealous...single digit handicap and a guitar player. I just started playing again and I'd die for a single digit handicap although I don't ever "practice" my golf swing I just go and play.

It really gets me down when I'm on the golf course and I'm not playing well and then I start thinking about how bad of a guitar player I am along with being a bad golfer and pretty soon I start feeling pretty useless.

Most guitar teachers don't operate that way but it would be a good idea. There are alot of times I feel my lessons didn't do much other than cost me $35. I would much rather just be able to call him up and schedule an appointment to go over some of the things I need help with.

Now if you have any tips on golf I'm all ears

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Hey Cnev give this a try the next time you play.

Spend about 45 min practicing short chips (10 yards and less) and medium and short puts. Pay particular attention to the length of your back stroke.

That is usually where all of every high handicaper's strokes are, though everyone likes to practice driving.

I bet you save 6-10 strokes off your average game. Asuming you have a high handicap.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@john-kline)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

cnev,

Well I had the luxury of growing up in Monterey, Ca. , as a young boy. My stepfather is from Pebble Beach so golf was pretty popular in the family. I am left handed, but he taught me right handed as he thought I was more ambidextrous, and it would be easier to learn and find clubs for a right handed player. But from 18-24 I didn't play at all. From 25-32 I played more often. I look back and think I should've picked up guitar then. Now I have two babies, so golf is pretty much secondary, behind guitar. Like MaxRumble said, warm up before you play is a must, and keep it around the greens. I'd warm up 45 minutes, hey if a round is 30-40 dollars, I don't want to waste the money by trying to warm up on the first 3 holes.
The last 10 or 15 minutes hit some wedges, 7 iron, 5 iron, 3 iron, and 3 or 5 wood. Don't get hung up on the driver, I don't even carry it anymore, unless the course is really long. You can make up so many shots around the green and chipping and putting. I like to get around the 150 yd marker for my approach shot, so if a hole is only 320yds, I'll still use just a 6 iron off the tee as an example. Don't think, "hey, I'm going to drive it 270 down the middle and have an easy 50 yd half shot."
My full swing is pretty compact, and consistent for the most part, I would videotape my swing and analyze it myself. Compare it to some golf pro you body type is alike. I'm 5'11 220lbs, so I wouldn't compare myself to Tiger Woods who is taller and leaner.
After the baby was born I hadn't played or hit a ball in 14 months, I did my practice routine and shot an 80, and had a good time with friends.

John

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

"Could everyone please be quiet...I'd like to hear the grass grow" - Robin Williams immitating a Golf commentator. :lol:

^Doesn't add anything, but I just watched his Live on broadway again today, made me think of it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Quickly Nurse! A large syringe of Golf antidote over here, and hurry!

Forget all the jokes about golf being a great way to ruin a perfectly good walk, and golfers having small balls, it's kinder to just shoot the poor devils twice nightly at dawn for a week to bring them to their senses! :twisted:
I don't have time to commit to weekly guitar lessons.

Of course you do John. Just wean yourself off this unhealthy addiction to outdoor pursuits. :?

EDIT:
(And that is not a bag of golf clubs rusting away in the cupboard, it's my.... aaah... collection of Renaissance walking sticks.... )

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

8 handicap here and I have mastered most barr chords....

Life is good !

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Most guitar teachers don't operate that way but it would be a good idea. There are alot of times I feel my lessons didn't do much other than cost me $35. I would much rather just be able to call him up and schedule an appointment to go over some of the things I need help with.

It's a matter of scheduling, really.

Let's say I have Friday booked from 3pm-9pm with half hour lessons, and the students at 8 and 8:30 both leave. When the next prospective student calls, I'm only offering 8... I don't want to have a swiss-cheese schedule where I'm waiting around for periods of time between students. That happens often enough with cancellations anyway.

So most teachers really can't figure out where to put a one-time lesson. If I book a 1-time lesson at 8, and then get a new student at 8:30, I end up with holes.

I do have a couple of students who schedule as-needed lessons. My solution is to book them at the end of normal teaching hours. If I have students (or holes) until 9pm, the 9pm slot is for those every-couple-of-month deals.

You probably won't find that at music stores or schools though, because they won't want to stay open another half hour for one student.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@john-kline)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Chris_C:

Hey, I actually haven't played golf since beginning guitar about 6 months ago. And the addition of another baby in the house, it's hard to go out for 4 1/2 hours to play. (Well, sometimes when it's crazy around here!, but I'd rather catch up on some sleep.)

So guitar is something I can do at home, and I have more passion for learning and playing than I did with golf.

John

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member

Well I play guitar left handed - and golf right handed.. Sure wish I had a handicap in single figures - golf or guitar!!

When I bought a new set of golf clubs (after my two new guitars - get my priorities right) I got a Taylow Made R5 driver - it is more reliable than most other clubs - since I learned to 'sweep' it off the tee and not try to knock the cover off. So I am confused when I hear all this talk about leaving the driver behind..

Now my iron shots leave a lot to be desired... on a bad day I fluff one in three..

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Max,

That's pretty much all I can do at the course I play at they don't have a range so all you can do is chip and putt.

I just started playing after taking three - fours years off. I bought some new clubs and wasn't hitting the irons well and got a different set. Still not hitting them to good and that's what's killing my game. It's very inconsistent. Any any given day I can shoot in the low 80's but must of the time I'm around 90 and it just seems like I have a different problem every round. One day I'll hit the driver great but then I can't putt, or I'm chipping and putting great but the driver's getting me in trouble.

But the most inconsistent part of my game is my iron play. I'm not hitting near enough greens in regulation, and I'm hitting my irons to close to the hosel and then sometimes the dreaded..***nk...I can't even say it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote