Clear all

Guitar position

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is kind of a silly question, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

When I'm playing my telecaster, I always try to keep the neck diagonal, as it's easier to finger the fretboard that way. However, when I've got it strappped on, it can never keep that position - it's simply not balanced to do so, I guess. The neck slowly drops, as I'm playing, to be almost horizontal, and it greatly impairs my playing because a) I can't keep classical position and b) I have to like, hike the guitar back up while I'm playing, which slows me down and usually forces me to stop.

Any suggestions? Is there anything I can do about this? I wear my guitar fairly high; the edge of the body is almost at my chest. Is it something I'll just have to deal with?

-lunchmeat

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

After awhile you will start adjusting it subconsciously to keep it where it belongs. In the mean time see if you have or can get a strap that does not slide on you. Wide leather ones are pretty good.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@galis)
Eminent Member

Currently that's my problem as well, my bass guitar is a BC Rich Beast model and when i let go of the neck it drops all the way to the floor, only mine is at a rapid pace instead of slow

You will adjust to it's weight eventually and be able to play how you like as i found. Give it time and a bit of practice and the balance problem will clear up. To stop the slow dropping as Nils said, the wide leather straps do work best or anything really with a shoulder rest could help slightly.

New goal #1: Buy an amp.
New goal #2: Buy a 5-string.
New goal #3: Get better then OWA at music.

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, as far as I know, basses are notorious for that. I'm not a bassiast, but I have played bass on numerous occasions, and I've had that same problem - it's difficult to hold the guitar and fret it at the same time. It's almost os if the strap isn't there.

Yeah, I hope it comes subconciously, but it's pretty annoying - I always end up playing with my thumb curled around the neck, which is alright but really not comfortable for my wrist. Impedes my playing as well. I'll check out the strap idea, though...sounds like it just might work! Thank you all for the tips.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Bass players (I used to be play bass as my main instrument) call this "neck dive", and some basses are notorious for it - for instance some Fender Jazz Basses were produced with huge headstocks like the 70's Strats, and they were terrible in that respect. Sounded wonderful, though! Some of the very light-bodied Yamahas do it badly too.

I too play a Tele most of the time, and though I've been playing so long (30+ years!) and don't really consiciuously adjust the guitar's position now, thinking about it I do do two things that help. Firstly I use a wide webbing strap, and avoid wearing shirts of any kind of "slippery" material, and secondly I move the guitar around towards my right hip (reverse if lefty!) so that the top curve of the body fits under my ribs. This seems for some reason to throw the balance back so that the instrument sits comfortably with the neck inclined slightly upwards. I play that way automatically now, and it would feel really odd to do anything else.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but it works for me :D

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

HEy! Yeah, I know what you're talking about - I'd tried it a few times, but I'd always wanted my left arm furthre out...but it seems to work, and it feels much better on my shoulder and back (after wearing the guitar for a while, I usually have an aching shoulder and middle back, and it sucks). Think I'll be wearing the tele that way from now on. Feels a little strange, because it's almost the opposite of classical position - if I were sitting, I'd have the guitar on my right leg instead of my left - but it works when I'm standing.

Yeah, my friend has a precision bass that's designed to look exactly like a strat - that's the bass I'm used to playing, and yeah, it drops quite a bit. Looks pretty nice, though. My other friend has a five-string jazz bass, and it's got a fairly light body, so it's got the same problem.

Thanks for the tip, PVTele! Once I get a new strap, all of my problems should be resolved.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Glad to help, Lunchmeat! It'll soon be second nature to you :D

Just had to pick up my guitar to check, and yes, I do rest the body on my right leg, of course, when I'm sitting - never really occurred to me ...

Aching back? Just be thankful it's a Tele and not a Les Paul - now there's a guitar for back problems! (They sound wonderful of course, but the weight :shock: )

ReplyQuote