Clear all

Guitar strap....stupid question

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for a couple years now, 95% of the time at home in front of the computer. I took my guitar out into the world for the first time this summer and thought that it might be handy to get a strap. I have a Yamaha F-310 and I can see where the strap attaches on the bottom but I can't see anything on the neck. I've never really thought to look at another guitar to see how it's attached. Thank you.

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

acoustic guitar straps often have a shoelace at one end which ties around the headstock just behind the nut

ReplyQuote
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wow....that was fast. Thank you.

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You could install the second strap button yourself.

1) Place a piece of masking tape over the spot you are about to drill. (so it doesn't chip the finish)

2) Drill a hole a little smaller than the screw. (another tip: measure how far the screw will be going in and wrap a piece of tape around the drill bit so you don't go too far in)

3) Take the tape off the guitar and install the button.

I placed mine at the base of the neck. Like this -

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I had a strap with the laces at the end originally, but prefer the straps that attach to a strap button.
You could install the second strap button yourself.
If you do this, you have a lot stronger constitution than I! :shock: Drilling into my guitar would scare the stuffing out of me.

I took two guitars to the music shop and they were able to install the strap buttons while I shopped. I don't recall the exact cost, but I know it was under $20 per guitar, maybe about $10-15 each.

Margaret

P.S. That's not a stupid question at all........

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Martin also sells a leather strap that goes around the head and has a button for your strap.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

My guitar shop did mine for $5.00, if you do your own make sure to get the proper instuctions to avoid drilling into something that you should'nt. The job took them like 5 minutes as they sold that particular axe and knew exactly where to place the strap button.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

It is a pretty easy thing to do, if you know where to do it. If you are not 100% sure, have your tech do it - it will be well worth the $5 - $10 for the peace of mind of doing it correctly. I haven't bothered putting one on my acoustic, because I only play it when I am seated.

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

That is actually something I was wondering about myself. I have my strap tied around the headstock but I don't like it there. Nice to know I can get another strap button put on.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I had never thought of that until my Dad asked me about his Fender acoustic. He wanted to put a strap button on his. I was surprised that it didn't have one. I got my Ovation out and sure enough, it didn't have one either. Anyway I believe he put the button in a similar place as the picture above.

Good question.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote