Clear all

Guitar Teachers (Bay Area)

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but does anyone know what the going rate is for guitar teachers in the Bay Area? Also, does anyone have any specific teacher recommendations for an adult beginner?

Thanks!

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Generally, it's around $30 an hour with most sessions lasting only a half hour.

So $15 a session.

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've asked at music stores, and out here in CA the rates I've been quoted are $30 for half-hour, $60 an hour. Guess I will keep looking!

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member

There is another thread here from somebody in Berkeley. He says he pays $60 an hour for lessons and that it is the standard rate in the area.

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member

Nothing in SF is cheap....I took them in DC for awhile and they were $50 an hour. I think that's pretty standard for a major city. Maybe a little more in places like NYC and SF.

ReplyQuote
(@vik_tor115)

I am currently taking private lessons in Berkeley. I have called about maybe 4 or 5 musicians in this area and they all charge $30/half hour or $60/hr so around $1/min. Since they were all so closely priced, I just chose the one that taught at UC Berkeley because he has the highest credentials. The others had 5+years in teaching and 10+years in playing experience but I went with the one I thought would be the best teacher. What area are you searching in by the way?

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm near Palo Alto, actually. I've kind of decided to hold off on it, as it's so expensive.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I've asked at music stores, and out here in CA the rates I've been quoted are $30 for half-hour, $60 an hour. Guess I will keep looking!

Thanks

Same here in Austin...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I'm near Palo Alto, actually. I've kind of decided to hold off on it, as it's so expensive.

Gryphon in Palo Alto has group lessons, you can check out the schedule through their website.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote