Clear all

guitar theory

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

is guitar theory something my teacher will teach me or is this something i need to pursue myself, and if so any good books you guys can recomend?

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

what do you think "guitar theory" covers?

Do you mean music theory?

Do you mean how the notes are laid out on the guitar in relationship to intervals and keys?

Do you mean something else?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

what i mean is, like the forum guitar and music theory, i should have worded that better, ok for example, there was a post where a begining guitar player, like myself was asking about the best way to practice, and the reply was spend this amount of time on scales, this amount of time on
chord progressions, and this amount of time on songs, also study theory, i guess what im asking is what is theory, will my teacher teach it to me or do i have to learn from a book.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Your teacher will definately touch on it, but it would be very expensive spending countless 30 min classes on theory. I would try to learn as much about that outside of the sessions. Theory can get very complicated for someone with no knowledge of it. There are some great articles on this site, and another place I frequent is theorylessons.com. Good luck

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks rsadler i will check that site out, any book recomendations?

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Noteboat's book is very good. Look in the theory forum I believe there's a link to how to get it

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I think most good teachers work theory into the lessons so that you learn theory by playing. You won't do much of that until you get some basic techniques down. But let your teacher know that as you progress you want to learn theory along the way. You may eventually have a few lessons with staff paper and pencil in hand instead of guitar, but that should be down the line a bit yet.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i forgot about note"s book, sorry noteboat, i"ll definatley check it out, and thanks muesenfruend, i asked my instructor bout it, he said slow down i"m rushing things lol, i just wanna be a good player.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

An interest in music theory is the first step to learning it. There are lots of players out there that play without knowing the theory behind it. Then there are those who will question "Why?" and "How?".
Why does this sound good together?.
Why is this minor and this major?
How to I find the next chord in this progression I'm working on?.

I agree with the previous post where you can spend a lot of money for your guitar teacher to teach you or you can do some reading on your own.

To begin with there are some excellent articles on this site about theory (David Hodge deserves to win some kind of major award. As he works theory into every lesson he has written. Not to take away from the tremendous contributions from Note Boat and countless others who make this site the best one out there.)

When you can figure out which notes are sharp or flat in any given key. And which are the Root, third, fifth and seventh tones of a key, you'll be head and shoulders above many players out there. And more importantly on your way to being able to improvise and to making your own music.

I found that once I understood really understood the basics, everything about the guitar and fretboard fell into place. It was like a lightbulb being turned on.

Just my two cents worth.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote