Clear all

Metronome

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ban310)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been reading/hearing a lot about practice with a metronome. Anyone have experience with this? Is it worth it? How would I use one?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think the majority on here have some experience with metronomes.

They are a great tool for practicing and learning tempo. You set it for whatever beats per minute and try to either pick or strum on the beat. You can start at a slow speed and work your way up when you are comfortable with the slower speed.

It's all about timing...

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ban310)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So each note should be played with a beat from the metronome? I found an online one, that work the same pretty much?

What about using it for songs like Blackbird, where the timing differs?

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

yea dude, i was playing my scales really sloppy and my timming was awful ad missleman and nils recommended a metronome, i went and got one that day and my scales were fluid and clean sounding and it did"nt take long. they are a must in my opion.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

So each note should be played with a beat from the metronome?
Yup that's basically it.
What about using it for songs like Blackbird, where the timing differs?
You use the metronome to practice each piece of the song until you get the timing of each piece then basically put it together and play the whole song without it.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ban310)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the help!

ReplyQuote
(@nephidoc)
Eminent Member

I like to write down on the music how fast I can play without TOO many errors. I'm not smart enough to remember :(

It's a cool confidence boost when you see how you've improved.

Stan

ReplyQuote
 malg
(@malg)

Just curious about the beat on metronome play. Should you play on the beat only or do you play off beat as the "and" note (as in 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and). I find it very difficult to try and keep a rythm when trying to bring an up strum on the off beat if you know what I mean.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Try practicing just doing the down strum on the beat. When you are good at that try to introduce the up strum on the off beat. One you are good with that then you work towards what the songs actually calls for which may be all the main beats and selected off (and) beats.

For example:

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
D U D D D U

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 malg
(@malg)

thanks nils

How slow should you start at, and does that include scales?

Malg

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

You want to play it perfectly as soon as you can. Make it as slow as you need to, in order to get this done. And then once you have that down perfectly, speed it up a bit, and keep doing this.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Like Taso said "as slow as you can go" to start with. However, not too slow since it can make you too mechanical. Try finding the beat that you are comfortable with. Usually between 40 and 60 is a good starting point for most people. It needs to be slow enough that you can get it perfect but fast enough that you are not overly hesitating.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You talk a great deal of good about metronome , but what about a player ,a beginner who cannot even shift open chords properly.The metronome will go on clicking the sound , making the playing even more frustating i guess.
Of course metronome is good , no doubt , but not i believe for absolute beginners. :!:

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

...but what about a player ,a beginner who cannot even shift open chords properly.The metronome will go on clicking the sound , making the playing even more frustating i guess.
This is the exact reason I bought a metronome about a year ago; to help practise the difficult task of switching between open chords. If the slowest setting (usually 40 bpm) is still too fast, then change chords on every second beat (equivalent to 20 bpm) or third or fourth beat if need be. And relax your muscles. Switching smoothly between open chords is tough, but it will come given enough time.

Now that I'm past the 'absolute' beginner stage, I realise that a metro is an essential practise tool that makes life easier. Think of it as a simple drummer that perfectly plays the tempo of your choosing, never misses a beat, never asks for food, and fits in your pocket.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You talk a great deal of good about metronome , but what about a player ,a beginner who cannot even shift open chords properly.The metronome will go on clicking the sound , making the playing even more frustating i guess.
Of course metronome is good , no doubt , but not i believe for absolute beginners. :!:
And just to add to what Patrick said and dig a little deeper into your comment. You are correct that if someone can not change chords at all the metronome is of little value unless it is set real slow. Setting it faster then you are capable of doing is pointless. However, once a person can change chords even slowly then practicing with the metronome is essential to good timing.

I for one will not use the metronome the first time I am trying a new chord progression especially if it involves chords I have never used before. Once I am close to comfortable with the chords I will then use the metronome to build up to the correct timing. I also get a little lazy at times and don't use one with songs I already know unless something is off.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote