Clear all

guitar theory books

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@robertdwhetstone)
Topic starter  

Nick or Dave,
First let me say that your website is the best guitar website on the net.It has been very helpful,more than any out there.
I have been studing music theory lately,and have bought several books on the subject.Needless to say my understanding is still fragmented and somewhat vague.Can you reccomend a book on guitar theory,that is consise,and easy to understand?I thougt about buying the one by Noteboat but I am getting mixed reviews.Also, its hard to tell about its contents without actually seeing it,and I just dont want to spend any more money on something thats not going to be enlightning.If it helps I consider myself to be on and intermediate level,and I do know how to read traditional sheet music.Also,intervals are giving me the most trouble.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I'm neither Nick nor Dave, but I'm also looking for guitar theory books. :)

I will definitely get Noteboat's because I like the way he explains things. Also he's frequently on the forum and responds to theory questions, and I'm sure he'd clarify anything in the book (as he has already done so for people here.)

I'm also considering this one from Tom Kolb

which is new (published May 2005) and comes with a CD to help support the lessons. I think that would be a big plus. I am hoping to see a review or two, but it's inexpensive enough that I'll probably just buy it.

Hope that helps.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Check Nick's Review of Tom Serb's book. And the great thing is that the author can answer your questions since Noteboat's a member of the forum community.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@crackerjim)
Eminent Member

I'm on the first part of the music learning curve myself. I've discovered that after getting 2 or 3 books on theory, I really needed a book on composition. Each book told me about scales and chord formation etc but not how to put it together.

I've picked up a book on composition and improvisation for the guitar and it's guiding me towards taking the theory and turning it into music.

Good luck,

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Jim, just curious, what is the book called??

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I also recommend "The Skeptical Guitarist" series by Bruce Emery.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

This one Nick?
http://www.skepticalguitarist.com/

Don't bother with amazon!

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

yes that one.

Hold on a bit because I have a review going in and I'm working out a slight discount for GN readers.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Oh goody :D

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nick,

I'm a little skeptical about that!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

I have a copy of Richard Daniel's "The Art of Playing Rock Guitar" ($13.66 on half.com) and it is quite good. It talks about why scales are scales, intervals, modes, the circle of fifths, etc. but it also has picking exercises and various practice routines as well. I've learned quite a bit from it.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I have his Heavy Guitar Bible. Good stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

I recently bought a copy of Vol. 1 of the Skeptical Guitarist. I have found it very helpful in explaining a lot of concepts about music theory that are only alluded to in my beginner how-to-play guitar books.

ReplyQuote