Notifications
Clear all

What Kind Of Guitar

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@music-man)
Topic starter  

I have a huge music backround and i'm really interested in the guitar.
I just dont know what kind to start off with electric or acoustic. Is one better than the other? Or does it not matter which one u start with?
Can someone help me?

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Ask yourself this, "What do I want to play"?

It's up to you. If you plan on really getting into it, you will end up having many of both.

I started on acoustic. Why? My wife bought it for me. Would I have purchased an acoustic as my first guitar anyway? Yes,...... why you ask, because first off you do not need an amp (saves you some money right there), second it helps build up finger strength and calluses quicker. Third, you'll end up buying one anyway.

Either way, it comes down to the sound you are after and the type of music you want to play.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, Tracker made some good points. It all depends on what you want to play. If you get an acoustic just because it'll help you become a better player quicker (and not much quicker at that, and ya gotta get threw some great frustrations, although that can be said of the electric guitar as well) and you don't play it because what you really want is death metal distortion, then its just a waste. You need something that will inspire you to pick it up and play it every day.

What kind of music do you like? Some favorite bands/artists?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Also, your interests may change over time... I was really interested in fingerstyle, so I started on a classical guitar that happenned to be available, and then recently bought a steel string accoustic . But, once I got the accoustic, I started doing more strumming and started learning some riffs. Now I am thinking of getting an electric as well. (There seem to be lot more decisions to make for an electric though : like whether you want a strat style sound or LP style sound, what kind of amp you get etc..)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

You need something that will inspire you to pick it up and play it every day.

This bears saying twice. Actually, it bears saying 3 times.
You need something that will inspire you to pick it up and play it every day.

Yeah. Read that to yourself a bunch. Truly, that's it. That's what makes a spectacular first guitar.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@jubby)
Trusted Member

I got my zager zad-50 acoustic from http://www.zagerguitar.com
wow does patrice (that's what i named her) inspire me to play
its the first thing i want to do in the morning and the last at night.
set up wonderfully, brilliantly easy to play.

ReplyQuote