Guitarport?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Someone showed me a "guitarport" today. Seemed kind of neat. I am thinking it might be a good way to practice an electric guitar without the amp, and also to have some backing tracks, lessons etc.

Any opinions?

(BTW, I currently have only an accoustic..)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It's not a bad way to go.

However, you'll eventually want a good amp. Playing through the computer speakers will only take you so far.

I'd only get it if you really think you'll use the lessons. Otherwise it's kind of a waste. You can get an ok practice amp for $100.

You can find pod's on sale for $150 for the modelling effects and plug those into your computer just as easily. Or use headphones. And then you could at least use the modeller with your amp when you eventually get one.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

However, you'll eventually want a good amp. Playing through the computer speakers will only take you so far.

I'd only get it if you really think you'll use the lessons. Otherwise it's kind of a waste. You can get an ok practice amp for $100.

The reason I was thinking of getting this versus an inexpensive amp was that many discussions here suggest you would want to get rid of the cheaper amp after a few months for a good tube amp (more like $300-400?).

The lessons did look interesting, but I am not really sure if I would use them. Between a group class I am taking, couple of books and tons of lessons here on GuitarNoise, I already have more material than I am able to work on. One cool thing was that all those lessons are much more "electric" oriented, and you can hear what it's supposed to sound like.

I'll keep thinking .. I first have to decide what kind of electric guitar I want to get anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote