Clear all

hammer ons and suspensions

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@blueeyez6489)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey!! i'm new to guitar and this forum and I was trying to start to learn hammer ons and suspensions from http://www.wholenote.com but i'm really confused and don't know what i'm doing or what it's supposed to sound like. can someone please help me or give me some exercises or something...thank you so much!!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

welcome to the forum.
why are you whispering? you have typed so small it's hard to read.

anyway. hammer ons are realtively easy. suspensions Im not sure what that means.

a simple exercise re: hammerons. form an E major chord down at the nut. with your ring finger simply remove it from its string position then forceibly replace it. use you ring finger as a hammer. no plucking. the string note should ring out.
keep doing that over and over. it will give you the idea.
next try the pull off. same finger instead of lifting it off the string pull it off (away from you). the string should sound.

suspension...does that mean vibrato? thats a technoque where you lengthen the sound of the note by kneading the string into the fretboard with your finger. erase a dot is how I describe it. move the finger up and down while firmly pressing the string. you'll get a beautiful tone and sustain.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A suspension is a modification to a chord. The basic chord is made up of a triad of notes - the root (I), the 3rd position in the scale (iii) and the 5th position in the scale (V). A suspension is when you "suspend" playing the 3rd and play the 4th position of the scale instead. So, in C, you'd play C - F - G, instead of C - E - G. As I remember, the idea is to then play the suspended note (E) in the next chord, to remove the suspension.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@blueeyez6489)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

A suspension is a modification to a chord. The basic chord is made up of a triad of notes - the root (I), the 3rd position in the scale (iii) and the 5th position in the scale (V). A suspension is when you "suspend" playing the 3rd and play the 4th position of the scale instead. So, in C, you'd play C - F - G, instead of C - E - G. As I remember, the idea is to then play the suspended note (E) in the next chord, to remove the suspension.

okay but how do you distinguish the root from the 3rd position from the 5th position? and what about the chords that have more or less than 3 notes fretted? sorry, i'm kind of an idiot but i'm having a hard time understanding all of this theory stuff.

btw how many hours a day do you guys practice? do you think i could get really good if i went for 3 hours a day? i've heard of people playing like up to 5 hours!

and thank you very much for responding!! i love when you go to message boards and create a topic and nobody responds :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise,
Root, 3rd,5th is refering to notes from a scale.
Key of C for Example uses the C scale. CDEFGABC.
The Root is the 1st note C, 3rd note is E, and the 5th note is G so a major C chord is C,E and G (those 3 notes are known as a major triad and all major chords are built from it)
Chords with less than 3 notes are usually power chords consisting of 2 notes, More than 3 notes have notes added such as diminished 7 for example.
Don't get too hung up on chord theory early on, learn the shapes and get good at changing chords. Structure will come a little at a time as you use various chord shapes.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Also blueyez: Just because You have more than 3 frets being played, doesn't mean you have more than 3 NOTES.

For example (highest line is the High E)

--1--(F)
--1--(C)
--2--(A)
--3--(F)
--3--(C)
--1--(F)

Still three notes, F C and A.

Hope that helps a bit, and welcome to guitarnoise :D

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

My practice tonight wasn't going too well so I thought I'd make you a recording...the only sus chord I know and use right now is the Dsus4

EDIT

Posted edited as per Tracker's instructions below! :wink:

Dsus4

E|-----3--------------------|
B|-----3--------------------|
G|-----2--------------------|
D|-----0--------------------|
A|-------------------------|
E|-------------------------|

Here is a recording starting with the D chord and hammering on the "suspension" (1st string 3rd fret):

D to Dsus4

E|-------2h3--------------------|
B|-------3--------------------|
G|-------2--------------------|
D|------0-------------------|

Dsus with Hammer On

Here is one using a pulloff however this one I did a double pulloff:

Dsus4 to D to Dsus2

E|-----3p2p0-------0h2---------------|
B|-----3-----------3---------|
G|-----2-----------2---------|
D|-----0-----------0---------|

Dsus with Pull Off

The secod record might be familiar if you know Bon Jovi Wanted dead or Alive...He uses that all through the song.

I hope this helps...I know it helps me when I can hear something...Sorry this is the only suspention I know right now...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

btw how many hours a day do you guys practice? do you think i could get really good if i went for 3 hours a day? i've heard of people playing like up to 5 hours!

and thank you very much for responding!! i love when you go to message boards and create a topic and nobody responds :wink:

As for hours...depends how productive you are...you may be able to do in one hour that others need 3 hours...

When I started 4 months ago I was at it for 4-5 hours per day...but since I have summer's off that's not a problem...now that I am back to work I am happy with 1 GOOD hour...for instance tonights practice wasn't very good...but I had other days this week that I thought were some of my BEST practices...

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Just so you know mikespe,

your first code is a Dsus4,

second code is D hammer-on to Dsus4

and third code is Dsus4 pull-off to D then again to Dsus2
then
Dsus2 hammer-on to D

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Just so you know mikespe,

your first code is a Dsus4,

second code is D hammer-on to Dsus4

and third code is Dsus4 pull-off to D then again to Dsus2
then
Dsus2 hammer-on to D

Mike

My bad...It's been a while since I have been to Peter Vogl's Site.

But I made my point anyway...

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Just to add to what missileman said, every position, in a scale has a number assigned to it. This allows abstraction of scales, so that I can talk about I, IV, V, vii (1, 4, 5, 7) and they are, then, relevant to every scale.

Between those positions, there are intervals. To work out an interval, you simply count all the note names including the start and finish notes. So, for example, a third requires 3 note names in the sequence - example: in C, starting at the root (C), a third would be C, D, E (3 note names in the sequence). A third, starting at the 4th position (or more correctly, degree of scale) in C, we would get F, G, A. A second interval requires 2 note names and a 7th requires 7 - simple, eh? :?

A simple chord is made up of what is known as stacked thirds. That simply means that you start at the root and move up a third, then move up another third - example: in C, the root is C, a third up from there is E (C, D, E) and a third up from there is G (E, F, G) = C - E - G, a C chord.

As far as theory goes, a "power chord" is not a chord, because you only play 2 notes. If, for example, you play 6/5 an 5/7 (string/fret), you are playing a root and a 5th position (I, V). If you "enhance" the power chord to 6/5, 5/7, 4/7, you are still only playing 2 notes - 4/7 (A) is the octave to 6/5 (A).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@blueeyez6489)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My practice tonight wasn't going too well so I thought I'd make you a recording...the only sus chord I know and use right now is the Dsus4

EDIT

Posted edited as per Tracker's instructions below! :wink:

Dsus4

E|-----3--------------------|
B|-----3--------------------|
G|-----2--------------------|
D|-----0--------------------|

Here is a recording starting with the D chord and hammering on the "suspension" (1st string 3rd fret):

D to Dsus4

E|-------2h3--------------------|
B|-------3--------------------|
G|-------2--------------------|
D|------0-------------------|

Dsus with Hammer On

Here is one using a pulloff however this one I did a double pulloff:

Dsus4 to D to Dsus2

E|-----3p2p0-------0h2---------------|
B|-----3-----------3---------|
G|-----2-----------2---------|
D|-----0-----------0---------|

Dsus with Pull Off

The secod record might be familiar if you know Bon Jovi Wanted dead or Alive...He uses that all through the song.

I hope this helps...I know it helps me when I can hear something...Sorry this is the only suspention I know right now...

...so how do you hammer from the second fret to the third fret? :oops: what finger do you use?

this stuff is confusing the shiznit out of me :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

...so how do you hammer from the second fret to the third fret? :oops: what finger do you use?
You just put your next finger down at the third fret. If your index finger was on the second then you would put your middle finger down. If your middle finger was on the second fret then you would hammer on with your ring finger, and so on. If your pinky is on the second fret then you have to use your nose.

When you hammer on make sure you move your finger down fast. If you do it hard as well then you'll get some extra sound, but if you're fast you often don't need it.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

First look at the regular D chord fingering... XX0232 ...then look at the fingers used... index (3rd string 2nd fret), ring (2nd string 3rd fret), middle (1st string 2nd fret)...what's left? Your pinky....and for the pulloffs I pull my pinky off first then my middle finger...both from the 1st (e) string...

Watch the video on Peter Vogl's site. He does a great job of explaining a couple of the sus chords.

ReplyQuote