Clear all

Hand/Finger Exercises.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@carnage)
Topic starter  

Hi wonderful people at guitarnoise,

I've been experiencing a slight problem when I play power chords. My fingers tend to "cramp" up, they slowly start to edge away from the fretboard and I start losing the chord shape ending up in making a horrible noise. It doesnt happen when I switch chords just keeping the one shape that does it.

I've bought some Chinese Stress relief balls to help increase finger dexterity, and I use them at work. Ive been advised to get one of those squeezing things golfers use to increase strength in their wrists. Just wondering if people have come across the same situation and could offer any advice to overcome the problem Im experiencing, also what other things you could do to help your guitar playing when not being able to play the guitar, like now.. bored and have nothing to do at work..

Thank you!

(@blueline)
Noble Member

Most people will experience this kind of problem when they first start playing barre chords. Power chords can give you the same trouble when you are strumming the same chord for some period of time. Especially if you are strumming hard, you don't have a chance to move or relax the tension in your hand, so it will tend to cramp up on you. There are many things that can contribute to this but I would first look at your positioning.

Proper positioning can alleviate a lot of issues. I'll assume your sitting when you are playing.

Generally speaking:
1- Sit up straight with good posture.
2- Don't hold the neck of the guitar like a baseball bat. There should be some room between the palm of you hand and the neck of the guitar.
3- For E Shaped barre chords, you thumb should be in the hitch hicker position. (Thumb pointing towards the headstock)
For A shaped barre chords your thumb should be providing support to hold the chord, not hooked over the top of the neck. Here's a good thread I found that speaks to thumb positions... Barre Chords
4- Keep your wrist at a good angle. The placement of your thumb will help with this. Think about it, if you are hanging your thumb over the top of the neck, you are not putting your wrist at a good angle to help you play the barre chord/power chord.

Some will say that hanging your thumb over the top of the neck is a good technique. And they're correct! That all comes down to personal preferences. But for the purposes of good posture and generally accepted good techniques, we'll stay away from that discussion.

There are other things that can contribute to the pain you are feeling but I would start with these items. Also, based on how long you have been playing, with time, this cramping will go away. You will become more comfortable in playing power chords and barre chords. It really just comes down to one thing. Practice, practice and more practice. :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

One tip: when I play "loud" riffs - like power chords - I tend to strum sharply and strongly, which is fine, but I also tend to grip extra hard on the frets with my left hand. My hand thinks it needs to press hard on the frets to make a loud chord. This leads to cramping.

So, realize that your fretting hand doesn't have to do anything different when the chord is loud or quiet, and try strumming your power chords very quietly for a while - you'll automatically loosen your grip.

Also, choose a nice open chord song to practice in between the power chord songs - that way you won't hold the same shape too long until you're used to it.

ReplyQuote