Hello! New here with a few questions.

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking here for a bit, but I figured I would actually say hi finally.

I have tried to play the guitar on and off a couple of times over the years, but I always ran into problems (ie. crappy used guitar that wouldn't stay in tune).

I recently bought a nice Seagull acoustic and I am in love with the infernal thing. I've been practicing almost every night for about 1/2 hour in the beginning to 45 minutes to an hour now for about 1 month and a week.

I have learned a few strumming patterns, about 10 open chords, some music theory, the chromatic scale, blues scale and the minor pentatonic scale. I also know the intro licks to a few tunes and can change beteen several chords pretty well. How am I faring?

I am at the point now where I can practice longer, as I have better hand strenght and some pretty decent caluses. I usually work on chord changes (especially G to C or G to D), speeding up and mixing up my scales and am trying to learn the F and B chords.

What is my next step? I feel I am struggling a bit with changes and some of the tougher chords, though I am getting better. Is there anything else I can practice to help move along more quickly?

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

First off, welcome to GN!!

It sounds like you have definitely put in some study time already.

Two things that come to mind....(not that I'm an expert, in the least)

Maybe it's time to take some lessons to get a new direction?

Maybe, too, it's time to learn some songs all the way from beginning to end.

Lastly, come join us in the "On Line Jams and Collarations" to put your talents to use.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Welcome to GuitarNoise, Srpntmage! We look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!

I want to take lessons, but can't really afford them right now.

I have signed up over at nextlevelguitar.com, which honestly has helped a ton. Really good sight, cheaper than real lesons, but still not cheap.

I'm having problems with songs, as I am still not quite fast enough changing between certain chords. I practice changing chords every day pretty much, but it is slow going.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

From what you have said already, it sounds like you are doing everything right so far; well done!

As for being "too slow" for songs, just take a song you like, and play it at a slower speed (one that you CAN do). Once you know the song enough to play it at that slow speed easily, try speeding up a little (not too much), and work on it again. Repeat until you get better at playing faster.

I've always found that learning a song rather than just chords makes for much better practice as you are actually aiming for something that YOU know sounds right, and not just focussing on the changing of the chord for no reason other than speed in mind.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Considering all you've tackled, taking those 10 open chords you know and figuring out how to finger them as barre chords and move them all over the place wouldn't hurt you, the down side is you'll almost certainly feel like you are back to square one in terms of strength, but moveable chord shapes tend to be pretty handy. There is a huge array of different directions you could go though, and to me it seems you are doing pretty good for the time in you have.

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips guys.

As soon as I get F & B down a little better I'm going to try to get into barre chords.

I've been using a "Gripmaster" TM lol, hand strengthener every day for a month, and it is helping a ton. I recommend anyone using the guitar to go out and get one. It really helps isolate the excersize you give each finger.

I'm using a heavy (red) and when I fist got it, no way was I going to be able to use each finger independently on it. Now its no problem, except my pinky is a little weaker than the rest. With how heavy the action seems to be on my guitar, I think I'm going to need it.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I have a strength cage with a pullup bar and I just hang there for finger strength... it's weird how it's somehow easier to do a pullup than it is to hang, but static hangs focus on the grip strength more and I've felt I was lacking in that regard even before taking up guitar ... but the important thing is to give that sissy grip a workout..... so you can always whoop on that stubborn jar of pickles.

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

As mentioned before try and learn some simple songs from begining to end.
Pick something you can sing along to.This will help alot with timing.

Best of Luck

Bob

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

Wow bobble! I am seriously impressed! When I was that far in I was just about learning how to get the damn thing out of it's case. Seriously you are doing brilliantly but you don't mention any songs you have tried playing and for me that was where the fun started. Try finding some tunes you like and learn the chords and if that gets a bit boring some simple fingerpicking (Yup - I'm an acoustic man too!) techniques. It'll drive you crazy but boy the sense of fulfilment when it all comes together.

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

Just an extra tip about you not being fast enough on the chords. My mandolin tutor once told me - if you can't play it slow you can't play it fast! So play it slow and accurately and teh speed will soon pick up.

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@srpntmage)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Over the past week I have been trying to pick up a few songs to work on.

Right now I am working on Bad Moon Rising by CCR, Hurt (Johny Cash Version), Redemption Song by Bob Marley and About a Girl by Nirvana. I'm having some luck with all of them, but have a long way to go.

I'm also working on using the Minor Pentatonic to put together some bluesy riffs/licks. It's helping a lot with my finger coodination, and I'm trying to get used to doing hammer ons and pull-offs.

Still not quite there with my chord changes, but I'm making progress. D to G and anything to C is tough lol. F is still not working right.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I think if you don't already have one, a metronome would be a good investment. Start slowly and correctly, then speed up in small increments.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Oh and BTW welcome to the group.

ReplyQuote