Notifications
Clear all

Help for a beginner

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ace55)
Topic starter  

I am trying to play some scales but it seems that when I move my left hand from one string to the next, the string vibrates, it's sort of like a mini pull-off, it's throwing my concentration off. Are you suppose to mute the string somehow after you take your finger off, I'm not sure what I doing wrong.
Thanks

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN, Ace!

Possibly it's just that you haven't quite developed a light touch yet - it'll come, in time, and with practise, you'll automatically develop the knack of damping (or muting) unwanted strings.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Could be in the technique. I believe that the finger should be pulled straight off each time and without any movement or deflection in the string.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@chadhydro)

Try and play slowly. Sometimes playing too fast can cause you to inadvertently pull on the string when switching to another

ReplyQuote
(@jakubliszko)

Possibly it's just that you haven't quite developed a light touch yet - it'll come, in time (...)

I totally agree with you - probably it's the only reason of that the string vibrates when Ace55 moves his left hand from one string to the next one.
So my advice is to practise, practise and practise :D.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

And practice slow and clean, probably with a metronome. Only speed up what you can play cleanly.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote