Clear all

Help Needed for a Relative Beginner

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@david_p)
Topic starter  

Hi alll.

I first brought my guitar about 9 months ago and began practicing. I think i've now got all the open chords down (apart from F) However, I am trying to learn a song, any song and my chord changes are too slow so onto my question. Which is the best way to learn a new song?. I've been told Horse with No Name is a good starting block. Do I try to play the song all the way through looking at my left hand and try to change chords as quickly as possible in the hope that I will get quicker the more I do this?

I hope i've tried to explain this as clearly as possible.

Thanks for reading.

(@daven)
Estimable Member

If you can, try playing and changing chords without looking at your left hand. I find that I change chords faster if I'm not watching my fingers move. Sometimes they don't quite end up in the right spot but it's much faster.
When I'm practicing chord changes I shape the first chord, strum once, shape the second chord strum once, and repeat for a minute or so, then try strumming each for dudududu, switch for a minute or so. In a few days I can see, hear, and feel the improvement. I'm no expert but this seems to work for me. :)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Hi alll.

I first brought my guitar about 9 months ago and began practicing. I think i've now got all the open chords down (apart from F) However, I am trying to learn a song, any song and my chord changes are too slow so onto my question. Which is the best way to learn a new song?. I've been told Horse with No Name is a good starting block. Do I try to play the song all the way through looking at my left hand and try to change chords as quickly as possible in the hope that I will get quicker the more I do this?

I hope i've tried to explain this as clearly as possible.

Thanks for reading.

Even with knowing how to make the chords, quick changes come in time. We beginners are often so excited and want to progress so fast that we try to make chord changes so fast, and wind up flubbing them. I'm still guilty of this. I'm working on Venus by Shocking Blue; the intro chord progression is B7sus4 / Em / A / B7sus4. Going from B7sus4 to Em is not so bad because it's a slide up the neck and just laying down two fingers. It's going from A back to B7sus4 that is hard right now. I keep forcing myself to slow down, or I'll never make the B7sus4 with any degree of clarity.

Gotta slow down, even if it doesn't sound like the song. Make the chord changes perfectly, then gradually increase the speed.

I hope that helps.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

If you can, try playing and changing chords without looking at your left hand. I find that I change chords faster if I'm not watching my fingers move. Sometimes they don't quite end up in the right spot but it's much faster.

^^^ This too. Something I'm diligently working on. Besides, you must be able to do this to read a sheet and play at the same time without hesitating to look back and forth at your hand and the sheet. You also "get to learn to know" (look, I've been getting up at 4:30-5:00 am and I'm punchy! :lol: ) when your fingers land in the right spots, and just how to land them.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I would suggest that you start with David Hodge's Easy Songs for Beginners lessons and I would begin with the easiest of them all Horse With No Name. It's a simple 2 chord song and David explains everything step by step with Mp3's and strum patterns. From there, move on to whatever 3 chord song strikes your fancy, get a few of those under your belt and move up to a 4 chord song. Before you know it, with David's instruction, you'll be ready for the Intermediate song lessons, too. There's a wealth of information in the Lessons section of GN. Definitely take advantage!
:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I would suggest that you start with David Hodge's Easy Songs for Beginners lessons and I would begin with the easiest of them all Horse With No Name. It's a simple 2 chord song and David explains everything step by step with Mp3's and strum patterns. From there, move on to whatever 3 chord song strikes your fancy, get a few of those under your belt and move up to a 4 chord song. Before you know it, with David's instruction, you'll be ready for the Intermediate song lessons, too. There's a wealth of information in the Lessons section of GN. Definitely take advantage!
:D

I agree with almost everything there - but before moving on to three-chorders, why not try another two-chorder? I think "For What It's Worth" fits that particular bill - or you could try "Dance The Night Away" by the Mavericks....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhgc-MBV1N8

OK, the two chords in that song are E and B, which aren't great for beginners....but you could always try D and A instead, or C and G....it's a great song to mess about with. If you've got a capo, put it on the second fret and play D and A - then you'll be able to play along with the song AND be in the correct key.

Once you start learning the realtionship between chords - for instance, E and B are the 1st (I) and 5th (V) chords in the key of E, you'll realise you can play it in ANY key by using the I and V chords in that particular key.... in A, A and E; in Bb, Bb and F; in B, B and F#; in C, C and G - and so on. Great song to practise changing between two chords - I found singing along with it relieved the tedium of just changing backwards and forwards between two chords, at least there was a point to what I was doing!

It's also - when you get a bit better, and start messing about with barre chords - a really good introduction to that particular discipline, as you're simply changing from an A-shaped barre chord (E, played at the 7th fret....779997) to an E-shaped barre - B, played at the same fret, 799877.)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

+1 on what everyone's been saying.

As others elluded to, don't be hard on yourself with the chord switches. It'll come. Slowly, sure, but it will come. You've spent 9 months getting some basics down. In doing so, you've shown that you've got better patience than most. Allow yourself some time to learn chord switching. 8)

Do you sing when you play? What works for me is singing, at least internally. Helps me keep the song going. HWNN is good practice for that. The rhythm of the strumming and the vocals are not the easiest to blend together. Each is easy on their own though.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@david_p)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all your responses it has given me good encouragment.

I don't currently sing when I play (i'm tone deaf lol) I find I get frustrated as I'm not happy with the intro I keep going back to it until I land it perfectly (not happened yet) I agree I think I should probably try to slow down the chord changes and pehaps not put too much pressure on myself.

I think I have fallen into the beginners trap (I think everyone does) of wanting to pick up the guitar straight away and play a song the whole way through being note perfect.

I'm self-taught and I still get those Eureka! moments of "Wow! I couldn't do that before" and it keeps me going so i'm definatly doing something right.

Thanks once again for all your helpful advice.

ReplyQuote