Clear all

Help needed with fretting

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@shineymcshine)
Topic starter  

Hiya, hope some can help me with some problems I'm having with fretting

A couple days ago I got a Yamaha acoustic and while I have no problem playing open notes, whenever I place my finger on a string on any part of the fret board instead of getting a clear note all I get is a sort of angry twang, even if I just apply the lightest touch with the tip of my finger

Naturally this is kind of annoying and was hoping if any one has any idea how I can rectify this? I am a complete newbie and it is probably something elementary :oops: , so if anyone has a clue then some advice would be most welcome!

Thanking you in advance

XXSarahXX

(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Dont worry it happens all the time.

Ok first of all, make sure when u put your finger u put it not on top of the fret, but just a bit over it, not too close to the other fret, nor in the middle, close to the fret but not on it.

If this is not it then you should take it to the shop you bought it and demand a set up, new guitars tend to come with some little kinks that have to be dealt with before its playable ( not all but most ) take it to the shop and ask for it to be set up, most shops do this for free.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi Sarah, and welcome.

I can agree with the above post from Coolnama, but also want to add my own twist, part serious and part funny, but don't take me too seriously.

Terminology is important to me in diagnosing a guitar problem, and I realize you're new 'n stuff, so that's cool, but you know sometimes people write me with their guitar woes, instead of visit me, which they also do, except that in writing I sort of have to hear the right word to visualize the problem. Oh Lord, what a long sentence? :roll: :lol:

Maybe instead of an angry twang, it is a metallic clang, so we can agree on the rhyme? I rhyme all the time.

I'm glad that open notes are so far, so good, but a metallic clang, clash or collision is probably the string on a high fret, which is the same as a buzz, but not a happy or a good thang.

You are either not pressing hard enough, and have some sore skin or a little finger fatigue, or there is a technical/mechanical problem with the guitar.

So, indeed it could require some adjustment or a set up as Coolnama said. With a new guitar, you never know.8)

I'd want to eliminate adjustment or set up problems before commenting on technique further; that will come! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@shineymcshine)
Topic starter  

Hiya guys, it looks you're both onto something here!

I've just tried placing the finger just behind the fret board and striking harder and it's ringing out beautifully, fine and dandy just like candy ;) which is a big relief, and much to the chagrin of my neighbours I'm sure!

Thanking you dear sirs/ladies* (*delete as appropriate)

Believe me when I say that I will be back :lol:

XXSarahXX

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

By Jove, I think she's got it! Thanks for getting back to us guys, Sarah, and you've got the whole forum anytime! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Rubber Soul is one of my top fav Beatles albums.

when fretting a string you are changing the length of the string thus changing the sound/note.
at the top of the guitar before where the strings wind around the tuning peg is a part called the nut.
the strings bend over it.
your finger is doing the same thing when fretting. you merely want the string to bend over the fret.
the easiest way is to give a little room and press down behind the fret wire.
once you do that you find it feels better and sounds better.

you actually have enough room to alter the tone of the fretted note by wiggling the finger.

terminology is fun with guitar.
fret is a noun and verb.

welcome to the forum.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

By Jove ! ( O_O ) I think I just helped someone.

Awesome, I feel complete now.

Welcome to the forums ^^.

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote