Clear all

Total newbie question

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@cd-60-blk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering how far away the strings should be from the frets, I'm not sure if mine are to high or where their supposed to be. I didn't take up the store on their free set up, there's no buzzing or anything but I thought if they were lower it would be easier on my fingers! I was also wondering what size or kind of strings to buy. Sorry if these are stupid questions or obvious answers but I don't know. Thanks and oh it's an acoustic ( Fender CD-60 )

Where do you get your energies? Well its a vicious circle thing, If I hadn't ever played an instrument then I wouldn't ever need to play one. But now that I've been playing, I need to play. - Eric Clapton 1967 RollingStone interview

(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

They can be however you like em, its not good to have them too close because that could cause buzzing not too high that would cause the sound to go out of tune even if the strings are in tune, now see if you can post picks so we can evaluate :P or measure with a ruler, better yet, take it to the shop and have them set it up.

But if you are not noticing any problems, and you are a new to the guitar, well maybe its just that your fingers hurt, and you are building callouses... itll pass in a while :D

and btw welcome, keep on rocking!

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Strings should be far enough away from the frets so they don't buzz when you're strumming - but low enough so's holding them down doesn't take the strength of an olympic weightlifter.

Welcome to GN, BTW - I'd recommend to you, as a newcomer, using the lightest strings you can until you build up some finger strength and some callouses. 9's would probably be good at this stage of your playing - if you find the sound too thin and weedy you can always upgrade later. (I've been playing a long time and still use 9's - got used to the feel of them. Use them on my acoustics and electrics - all the guitars have the same strings, so that's one variable negated.)

You REALLY should have taken advantage of the free set-up - if there's any chance you still can, take it back and tell 'em you want a fairly low action!

All the best.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I've got nothing to add except.....FREE SETUP!!!!! Yeah you should have gotten that, they can be pretty expensive.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Back a year when I bought my Seagull, and over a year and a half ago when I bought my Jackson, from the same shop, I was not even offered a set up. And back then, what did I know? I don't really have any problems with either guitar, unless you consider fingers that are too short to stretch 4 frets. :roll: If a set up or "wellness check" ever does have to be done, just about how much does it run in $$, and how long does it take?

Seagull's site gives the string gauges as these:

SEAGULL 6 STRING ACOUSTICS
A6 LT :
‘PHOSPHOR BRONZE ‘ LIGHT .012,.016,.024,.032,.042,.053

SEAGULL 12 STRING ACOUSTICS
A12 LT :
‘PHOSPHOR BRONZE' 12 STRING LIGHT
.010,.010,.014,.014,.023,.008, .030,.012,.039,.018,.047,.027

I haven't used their 12 string, but it seems like the strings on the 6 string are like deep sea telephone cables. :shock: Very hard (for me) to barre above the 6th or 7th fret. Maybe I do need a set up and "wellness check".

At any rate, sorry to 'jack the thread as I am wont to do, now that I know set ups are offered, I would NEVER turn one down. Even if it means picking up the geetar two days later.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

SEAGULL 6 STRING ACOUSTICS
A6 LT :
‘PHOSPHOR BRONZE ‘ LIGHT .012,.016,.024,.032,.042,.053

it seems like the strings on the 6 string are like deep sea telephone cables. :shock: Very hard (for me) to barre above the 6th or 7th fret. Maybe I do need a set up and "wellness check".

Both my el-cheapo acoustic, and the Alvarez loaner than my son has from his music school have 12's on them, and, yes, they are not easy to barre (especially compared to my LP with a .009 string set), but the Alvarez is a bit easier.
The string height is as close to the same as I can measure (~3 MM at the 12th fret on the low E string), but the scale on the Alvarez is about 5/16 of an inch longer.
I didn't expect that small a difference to be so easily felt.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

If a set up or "wellness check" ever does have to be done, just about how much does it run in $$, and how long does it take?

You'd be suprised on what a good setup can do. What my guy does is great, he adjusts the neck if need be, sands down the frets if need be, adjusts the bridge and saddle, replaces the strings if you want him to, polishes and shines the guitar, checks the tuners, etc.

For him it runs inbetween $50-$65 depending on what you want done, and as for time, hes pretty popular, so while it only takes him an hour or two for a setup (he's VERY thorough) I just dropped mine off and won't get it back for two weeks.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Thanks Joe. I'm going to consider it. That's not a bad price range especially considering what we pay for the guitars.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@cd-60-blk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks everyone, I was surprised with all the responses I received. This is the best site, I'm so glad I found it. I bought the guitar from Long and Mcquaid and their a pretty reputable music store, I have a year warranty and can still get the free set up, I don't see anything wrong but then again I don't know what all to look for so I guess I'll bring it in, I just didn't want to give it up for a week!! Thanks again.

Where do you get your energies? Well its a vicious circle thing, If I hadn't ever played an instrument then I wouldn't ever need to play one. But now that I've been playing, I need to play. - Eric Clapton 1967 RollingStone interview

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You are correct! This is the best site. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dadblank)

I agree that the free setup would have been the best and I would also say that the good stores usualy have techs who are also making a living playing, by building a relationship with these people you will not only end up with a guitar suited to your abilities, but you will gain valuable experience in an area that most new players don't consider and that is the physics of the guitar it's self.

Believe me when I say they love to work with the public and help you craft your guitar in a way that will suit you personaly. I have had a relationship with my tech for the last 30 years and he has been just as important to my playing as the many people who I learned to play from.

So go back to the store and ask if they will give you the setup, chances are they will because they want to have you come back for all of your needs.

You are never to old to set a new goal or to dream a new dream

ReplyQuote
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

http://home.roadrunner.com/~nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm

Nil's website answered the same question for me when I was trying to figure out if the strings were too high on my guitar. Lot's of good info, wouldn't necessarily recommend that you try making the adjustments yourself, but it will help you determine if your set up is out of whack and you need to get your guitar worked on.

Hope it helps,
Dave "Who" Else

ReplyQuote