help on buying a guitar

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,
I want to buy an electric guitar, but I am unsure which type to buy. Does the model of the guitar determine which kind of music I can play on it? I like everything from hard rock to blues/jazz(no metal or punk). I also need something affordable, decent quality and , quite importantly, I need to balance those with a model that I thinks looks good.
I saw some Ibanez that look really cool(AX models) but the reviews said that they were for metal.
Thanks for your advice!

(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Hey just bought an eletric too. I got a Gibson faded for $500, and a Vox ad30 amp for $200. I got because it was a all around guiter, and am enjoying it very much. Ibanz do tend to usually be for metal. How much do you want to spend :?: I reccomend musician'sfriend.com its a good website with great prices, but I would recomend buying one from a shop. that way you can play it before you buy it, and if you buy a guitar amp combo they usually will give you a discount. I bought my Gibson and vox amp at guitar center and they gave me discount on both of them and gave me some picks and a roadhog cable :D. If you find a shop say they can't, find a diffrent shop. Anyways good luck.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

my brother's been playing guitar for years and he always told me that while different guitars have a different tone to them you can play any kind of music on any guitar. You don't have to have a gibson to play some heavy metal power chords and you don't have to play country music on a telecaster. I suggest you go to your local music shop and try some on for size, talk to some of the guys (or gals as the case may be) there, see which one sounds and feels right for you. Maybe see what you can find used for a lower price if you're just starting out. But I think it's like buying good shoes. At least try them on in the store :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@doohdoohhead)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys.
any more tips are welcome

ReplyQuote