Help with Bends?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@plakerl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Moving through Blues you can use and on the lesson highlighting Bends. I have a few questions that I am sure can be addressed on this great site.

1.) Is there a theory a true right way of either bending the strings up or down?(in my case the left hand)
2.) Most of the lessons are indicating a full bend on the particular note? In this lesson it is indicating a full bend.

Thanks for the help on this. :)

Paul

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Paul,

Usually the string goes to the "next string", I mean, if you bend the 2th and the next note is in the 4th, you would "go up". Also there is another hint, that is you must go to the center of the fretboard: obviously, if you bend the 1st or 2nd string down, you probably go out.

I don't understand the second question but I think the bend is always indicated. If you are playing an A and a "+1" or "full" is indicated, you must go up to B (the sound you must achieve is two frets up).

Are you in lesson 7?

Edit: BYCU uses "1/2", "full", "1 1/2", "2" to indicate the bend. Previously I wrote only "+1". That notation is used by other books.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I tend to bend where there is room to bend. 1st and 2nd strings go up, 5th and 6th get bent down and 3rd and 4th bend either way. I don't know if that is sound technique but it just has always made sense to me.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@plakerl)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Paul,

Usually the string goes to the "next string", I mean, if you bend the 2th and the next note is in the 4th, you would "go up". Also there is another hint, that is you must go to the center of the fretboard: obviously, if you bend the 1st or 2nd string down, you probably go out.

I don't understand the second question but I think the bend is always indicated. If you are playing an A and a "+1" or "full" is indicated, you must go up to B (the sound you must achieve is two frets up).

Are you in lesson 7?

Edit: BYCU uses "1/2", "full", "1 1/2", "2" to indicate the bend. Previously I wrote only "+1". That notation is used by other books.

Nuno, I am on lesson 7.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nuno, I am on lesson 7.
Ok! Read the text in pages 31-32, under the "String Bends Galore" caption. Ganapes gives some hints for bending. Basically he says the same I said above but in a perfect English. :lol:

That lesson is hard (IMHO). I needed several weeks. The next seems pretty easy after this one.

ReplyQuote