Clear all

Help with Fingering for Dust in the Wind

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to play Dust in the wind by Kansas.

Most of the song is fingerpicking over 4 strings. I thought I had to use a finger per string but today my instructer advised me to play the base note with my thumb and the other three strings with my index and middle finger.

Here's a bar with the pattern.

------------------------
-1-----------1--------0-
-------0-----------0----
----2-----------2-------
-3--------3-----------3-
------------------------

Using four fingers I was finding it very hard to play up to tempo. With three fingers I managed to pick up some speed but find it difficult to play the open G right before playing the two notes at the same time.

I know it will come with practise, but does anyone have any advice as to which method I should focus on. Thanks.

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Hi,

I play that song using my thumb for the base notes and index and middle for the other notes. i was also taught by an instructor to use three fingers for this type of song. I have found that i am easily able to use the thumb and two fingers and have yet to find an instance where this hampers me. I just shift my hand down when plucking the high e string. I find I am much more comfortable this way.
For some bizzare reason though I do use my third finger for one song. I just felt more comfortable playing that way with that particular song. I could play it without, but I just ended up practicing that way and it stuck.

I but in answer to your question I do play Dust In the Wind with two fingers and I have no difficulty with the speed. My instructor told me it was ok, lots of people played this way.

good luck

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I use my thumb on the A and D strings my index on the G and middle on the B. I just shift up when it comes time to play the high E.
If it is any help, I practiced the picking pattern (which is pretty much the same through most of the song)on just the open strings. I did this for a couple of days until I got it down then I added my fretting hand into the mix (by then my right hand knew what to do and I could concentrate on fingering the chords)

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to the both of you, I appreciate that.

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@smortiz)

I learned this song the way you first described. Probably a good thing too, because if I would have learned other picking styles first I probably would have struggled with it more (I mean I struggled anyway, but I got it). I mistakenly learned the song as T+3,1,2 T+3,1,2 and thought I was pretty slick, until I watched and heard it played the right way T+3,1,2,T,3,1,2 (you need to school me on how to do that code thing...). I actaully spent a fair amount of time just doing the picking open, no chords. I'd drill on that to warm up and to just get in reps. I'm still very much a beginner so if I haven't practiced this song in a while and just try to pull it off I usually botch one of the transitions that goes from D to G or vice versa. I found the same picking pattern when used against non-consecutive strings gets a little tough (G chord).

-Scott

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

(you need to school me on how to do that code thing...)

Scott -

Surround any text that you want to appear in the code box with ... tags.

In other words, if you type:

you'll get:

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote