(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Any advice? haha

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Struggling with the barre - are we?

You can skip the 6th string and just do x33211 (ring finger on 5th string, pinky on 4th, m on 3nd and i on 1st and 2nd)

If you are a bit more specific it is easier to help :roll:

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
 Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

Find songs that transition from C to F- that's probably the easiest way to transition in. Also keep moving your index finger until you find a position in which all the strings sound. That means try sliding your index up and down, and rolling it side to side until you find a way that works. Pretty much everyone thinks barre chords are impossible at first, but after some serious practice they are no big deal.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Like Lars said, unless you're more specific, it's difficult to pin down the fault - small hands? Not used to barre chords? Trouble getting all the fingers to move together?

For me, a big part of the process of improving as a guitarist is finding something that works for YOU - for instance, I've almost always played the F chord as 133211 with my thumb on the bottom (low) E string and my first finger across the first two strings, sort of pinching the neck between them, then my 2nd 3rd & 4th fingers playing an E chord. That works for ME - it might not be comfortable for everyone, but I have large hands and long slim fingers.

I've showed these pics before, in a different thread - but I'm sure no-one will mind if I dig 'em out again. First of all, this is how I play a C chord.....

Notice I'm playing the bottom E string at the third fret, giving G in the bass - if you're strumming the full chord, it just adds a little depth. If I'm fingerpicking, I've got an easy alternating bassline - C-G-C-G (I-V-I-V) - so it's generally the way I play the chord.

From that position, it's pretty easy to move to an F chord.....

Notice how little movement there is? And how similar the chords are? Someone mentioned the other day that an F chord's like a "compressed" C chord, I thought to myself "that's a pretty good description!"

It's easy enough to move to that particular voicing of F (well - it is now, after years of practise!) from a C chord, or an Am chord, which are both quite frequently used in conjunction with the F chord. And after a while, I even found it relatively easy to move from either the C chord or the F chord to this voicing of the G chord....

The point I'm making, don't be afraid to experiment - just because a lot of people play the F chord with a full barre doesn't mean YOU have to. Experiment, and find what works best for YOU!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Excellent advice, Vic! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@william55)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Basically what I struggle with is when I hold the other 2 strings down with my middle finger and ring finger, it pushes up against the 2nd string from bottom making it not sound, then when I fix that, 1 of the other fingers push against the others haha, If I sit there for 5 minutes I can finally get it to where it plays clear, but dang to switch to that chord while playing haha, practice makes perfect I guess

ReplyQuote
(@georgejw22)
Trusted Member

One thing that helped me a bit; Visualize the chord in question, F, and then actual make the shape of the chord with your fingers without setting them down on the strings, but right above the strings. Then set them down all at the same time. Try that while switching from a chord you know. Go from C to F to C to F to C and so on. It's all muscle memory. On a side note, I've been playing barre chords for several months and still have issues every now and then, but once you get one barre chord down the rest are a lot easier. Example, a Minor 6th string barre chord, Fm, is the same as a Major 6th string barre, F, but with the middle finger on the 3rd string omitted.

Fm-133111
F- 133211

All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff. ~ Frank Zappa
I've got blisters on my fingers. ~Ringo Starr
Music is spiritual. The music business is not. ~ Van Morrison

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I forgot to mention before, one of the main reasons I play the F chord this way:

Hold your hand out straight, fingers extended, palm up. Now curl your fingers into the palm of your hand as far as you can, and take a look at the shape of your fingers. Dunno if it works for everyone, but in my case it looks like I'm playing a C or an F chord without a guitar! I figured if my fingers are naturally going to put themselves in that shape, I might as well make the most of it!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

And practice practice practice. So much of learning to play is playing and practicing chords, barre chords, open chords. Start slow and eventually your fingers begin to move on their own with less and less concentration. You will become a zen guitarist and learn to play without playing. it takes time Grasshopper. I'd say it'd take a lifetime...maybe a little longer.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

And practice practice practice. So much of learning to play is playing and practicing chords, barre chords, open chords. Start slow and eventually your fingers begin to move on their own with less and less concentration. You will become a zen guitarist and learn to play without playing. it takes time Grasshopper. I'd say it'd take a lifetime...maybe a little longer.
I remember those first days. Along with the practice I came across a song with a F7 chord instead of just plain old F on the lyric sheet. What a discovery that was!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You can play the F-Chord after a lot of practice haha.

ReplyQuote