Clear all

I can't find find this...left hand cramping

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I tried searching but any advice beyond just keep practicing in regards to cramping in your fretting hand while playing barre chords. After a few minutes the bottom of my thumb and in between of the thumb and pointing finger hurts something awful.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

some cramping when beginning is normal, it happens to us all when we over do it a bit. stretching exercises are a good way to fight hand cramps.
eventually you will get past it. if it persists you may want to check your technique, improper angles at the wrist can also cause cramping or worse.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

It could also mean that you're not relaxing your fretting hand enough. If you find yourself "forcing" your fingers into position, or have too much tension in your hand, you will end up with hand cramps. Try relaxing a bit.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Exactly .. it's the old "death grip" and this is normal when learning barre chords. Once you learn to relax you will be fine. Now it is rare, but once in a while I come across a new chord I have to learn and I find I do the same thing still when learning something new. I squeeze the crap out of it. Even after 31 years! It is natural. Once you learn the chords you will relax and the cramps will subside.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeah...it's what I figured. I been playing for a few years now but only just realizing how much pressure I'm using. I still think I'm not using too much pressure but I'll try and be more conscious of it.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote