Notifications
Clear all

Hey i'm new

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dc-20o1)
Topic starter  

My brother just gave me his guitar so I decided to start playing four days ago. I've been reading all the lessons and i think they're great! But i also bought a beginners guitar book, now heres my question: Should i start learning individual strings first or chords? I played the piano for five years and the saxophone for four, so i can read music and stuff.

Thanks for the help

-Dan

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the asylum for the musically insane.

I'd suggest starting with Absolute Beginner Chords.

And here's GuitarNoise's fretboard map:

Enjoy your guitar!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Learn both do notes one day chords the next. 8) 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@mikeg516)

Fret board map? That's the first one I've seen like that. What should we do with it?

ReplyQuote
(@dc-20o1)
Topic starter  

Thanks 8)

-Dan

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Fret board map? That's the first one I've seen like that. What should we do with it?

Just get familiar with it. You'll be glad to know the names of the notes someday (if you don't already). Especially when you start working with barre chords and power chords.

And besides, it looks cool. 8)

And welcome to the asylum!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Welcome to guitarnoise, MikeG516 and DC 20o1! Are your fingers hurting yet??? :wink:

FEEL THE BURN!!!!! :roll:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

welcome to the board,

since you can read music already, learn the notes on the neck asap. You'll have a big head start. Have fun!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@dc-20o1)
Topic starter  

Welcome to guitarnoise, MikeG516 and DC 20o1! Are your fingers hurting yet??? :wink:

Yep lol. I'm still able to play a few hours a day tho :twisted:

-Dan

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Yep lol. I'm still able to play a few hours a day tho :twisted:

Man, that's really hardcore. :o

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@mikeg516)

I bought my first guitar 2 months ago and I've been skulking on the list for a while and finally put myself out there. I've been playing with scales although not with any real ideas as to what to expect. My goal as a new player is to learn at least one song. Trying to play "Horse With No Name". I've got the strum but still need to stop to change chords. If I go real slow I can do it. Then I try to move on to another more complicated song and realize I've much more practicing to do. Now I just strum chords and try to move from one to another without losing the beat. Is ther a progression of notes I could practice as an scales exercise?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I dont know if this is what you are looking for but some one else had posted a website for lots of guitar information including strumming patterns and chord progressions. Here it is http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/Strumming.htm Good luck.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chinsumo)

can we get the left-handed version of that chart?

pretty please

ReplyQuote