Notifications
Clear all

Hi please help me, its important

29 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I too was told that an acoustic will "prepare" me for electric. Total bollocks!

Tell us what you had trouble with?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear.
I was told by a few friends that I MUST play the acoustic for a while to be able to play electric.
Almost like playing an acoustic is a prerequisite for playing electric, which of course isn't true.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@samurai99)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Could you recommend a decent electric which instruction manuals to start out and stuff like that?

ReplyQuote
(@quento19)
Eminent Member

Hi! I'm sorta stuck on this decision too. Before reading this topic, I thought that I would need an acoustic first. After, I decided to get an electric. All I need is an amp and I can afford it. Now all I need to do is find a teacher.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

"Could you recommend a decent electric which instruction manuals to start out and stuff like that?"

Thats a toughie dude.
I would suggest you to goto your nearest guitar store and check out all the guitars within your budget.
If you can't play and decide for yourself, take a friend who can or ask the store clerk.
Hold the guitar and see how it feel and looks.
Once you have narrowed the selection to a few, research about them.
You can even post your selection here and someone will surely give you their helpful input.

Unfortunately, I have so far bought but one electric, Godin Exit-22 AND I highly recommend it.

----------------------------------------------

"Now all I need to do is find a teacher."

Welcome to GN. You are on the right track.
Most will agree that finding a good teacher makes learning guitar so much easier.

Keep practicing and keep us posted with your developments.
All of us here would be happy to help you through this process.

Cheers
Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@samurai99)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone give me the lowdow on the Ibanez IJS40 Jumpstart Electric Guitar Package?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Ibanez come well recommended, so you should be ok.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Song2 starts with a clean electric and moves to a rocked up electric sound. But I've never heard any complaints when playing it accoustic, it's a great party song with any guitar. :D

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

As the other members have said , its important to find a teacher , rather than getting confused out of your wits over choosing the guitar.

With any guitar in your hand , a good teacher will enable you to play any other guitar well.Invest in a teacher or a good book first , then think about the guitar.

And investing in a teacher takes the worry of choosing , deciding from you.He guides you and all you have to do is to follow him.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@samurai99)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone, I want to repay you guys by offering gmail invites to anyone who wants them. PM me.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just been looking at the video for Song 2 - Bennett & Arjen are quite correct, Graham Coxon plays the intro riff on electric, then switches from clean to distortion via a foot pedal - sorry, couldn't make out what said pedal was, even paused and playing it back frame by frame....

As regards an electric guitar package, Ibanez sounds good - don't know what prices are like in India, but Squier packages are relatively inexpensive - come with a 15W amp, which has a headphone/line out socket and a distortion channel....so you can rock as loud as like with headphones on....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@samurai99)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Do all amps allow distortion 'cause thats really important to me? or do you need something extra for distortion effects?

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I grew up in India, but left more than 20 years ago, so my experiences may not translate today, but back then:
- An accoustic was lot easier to find and used to be quite a bit cheaper than an electric
- Most people who had electrics still didn't have amps and had to depend on an amp from somewhere else: school band, church, so your electric did not get used as much.
- The locally made steel string/plywood body accoustics used to be quite good, although we used to salivate at the few imported accoustics we saw
- The electronics on the electrics were not that great.

I am sure electrics are much better now, and you can probably get an amp without way too much trouble.

Anyway, most of the basic things you learn like chord positions will translate from an accoustic to electric. You may have to learn a few more things:
- You may tend to favour bar chords over open chords in an electric
- Usually you don't tend to play power chords on accoustics
- Usually you don't learn the upper ranges of the fretboard with an accoustic
- You don't usually have to worry too much about muting strings when you play an accoustic.

Good luck.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

I started with an electric and I had problems mainly because I tought myself and developed what ive come to realise is Awfull technique, but there were some advantages, If you start with an accoustic it will build your hand strength immensely, but you might not be as quick a player if you get used to an accoustic. as far as learning Musically , they both have 6 strings with frets so there is NO difference. Like someone said, decide what you want to play, ultimatly your teacher can teach you music but not what you like. If you hate playing an accoustic and you think you have to... playing guitar will be less fun. And that I think is the most important thing. Love Playing, and youll learn.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2