Clear all

Holding the Guitar

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@smoskowitz)
Topic starter  

Hello All --

I guess I am going to ask the newbie question here and try to learn how to hold the guitar. I am using an electric fender squire guitar and find that I have issues reaching the 6th string.

What I do is place my thumb equivalent to where my first finger is by pressing on the back of the neck. When I am trying to play the chromatic scale I find that I cannot reach my pinky up to the 6th string 4th fret without either bringing the neck further into my palm or reaching my hand around the neck -- which can get a little uncomfortable.

Is this just a newbie thing and as I keep trying I will become more limber or is my technique flawed?

Thanks for your help.

Seth

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Hello All --

I guess I am going to ask the newbie question here and try to learn how to hold the guitar. I am using an electric fender squire guitar and find that I have issues reaching the 6th string.

What I do is place my thumb equivalent to where my first finger is by pressing on the back of the neck. When I am trying to play the chromatic scale I find that I cannot reach my pinky up to the 6th string 4th fret without either bringing the neck further into my palm or reaching my hand around the neck -- which can get a little uncomfortable.

Is this just a newbie thing and as I keep trying I will become more limber or is my technique flawed?

Thanks for your help.

Seth

1) It'll come with practice. Honest. Your hand (and especially your pinky) has spent your entire life not doing stretches like that.
2) The guitar police won't come and lock you up if your thumb moves away from it's "home" position.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@smoskowitz)
Topic starter  

Thank you for your reply. I will just keep plugging away.... :)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

are you sitting or standing?
I find I have better results when the guitar neck is held up at an angle. that way my face is closer to the fret board; I can see better.
and I find my hand has better leverage. it's really strange sometimes ho one of my fingers will stick out while the others are busy. sometimes my thumb comes over the top of the neck. it wraps around the top edge.
practice sitting and standing. you will find the most comfortable position. remember, we're all built differently. what works for some ....also. you finger muscles will build up strength and you'll have them doing all kinds of cool guitar things eventually.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@smoskowitz)
Topic starter  

are you sitting or standing?
I find I have better results when the guitar neck is held up at an angle. that way my face is closer to the fret board; I can see better.
and I find my hand has better leverage. it's really strange sometimes ho one of my fingers will stick out while the others are busy. sometimes my thumb comes over the top of the neck. it wraps around the top edge.
practice sitting and standing. you will find the most comfortable position. remember, we're all built differently. what works for some ....also. you finger muscles will build up strength and you'll have them doing all kinds of cool guitar things eventually.

Thanks for the reply. I am usually sitting. It's like to said, I just need to keep plugging at it. I appreciate your suggestion.

Seth

ReplyQuote