Clear all

Tuning 1/2 step down

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to tune my guitar down 1/2 step, but I can't seem to get it right, it sounds like crap everytime. I'm using a tuner that's built into my guitar, but it only tells me if I'm flat or sharp and not by how much, do I need a tuner that can tell me if I'm in Eb and judge based on that?

Thanks!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@alangreen)

A chromatic tuner would tell you that you were tuned to Eb. they're not expensive, I paid something like £7 for my Korg off e-bay.

Alternatively, get properly tuned in standard, then downtune the 1st string so it sounds the same as the 2nd string at the 4th fret. Then downtune the 2nd to 6th strings to the 5th fret as though you were in normal tuning, and hey presto - Eb

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks!
My question is do I fret the 2nd string at the 4th fret, or the 1st string at the 4th fret?

Sorry for the questions, I'm kinda new at doing anything other than Drop D.

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

Second string. And we are counting up from the bottom (high E string = 1, low E string = 6). So, 4th fret on the 2nd string, the B string, is Eb. The same Eb you want to tune your high E string to.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Second string. And we are counting up from the bottom (high E string = 1, low E string = 6). So, 4th fret on the 2nd string, the B string, is Eb. The same Eb you want to tune your high E string to.

careful with your wording. we rarely if ever refer to high e as the "bottom" string. most players think and talk in pitch, and will assume you mean "low E" when you say or write bottom string, as that's at the lower end of the scale. standard notation and tablature both place low E lower on their respective staff and grid. many tuners label the low E as "1" and high e as "6."

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! I got what he was saying, for whatever reason I was thinking low E and not high E since that's how I get my tuning for standard.

Thanks again for the help!

ReplyQuote
(@dalboy)
Eminent Member

I always use my capo.

Capo on 1st fret, then tune guitar to tuner as normal. Take capo off - job done!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That's a great way too! Sounds like the easiest as well!

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I always use my capo.

Capo on 1st fret, then tune guitar to tuner as normal. Take capo off - job done!

Great idea!

I've also found that, after you tune down 1/2 step. Give it another 10 or 15 minutes then tune again.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote