Skip to content
How can I recognise...

Notifications
Clear all

How can I recognise what type of guitar was used in a song?

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Earlier stuff will become recognizable in time. 5 years? Maybe, it depends on how good your ear and your memory are. Not always, but much of what they had was a guitar, a few pedals, an amp and attenuator. (i.e. they didn't have a pedal that makes a single coil pick up sound like a humbucking pick up.)

Now, the new stuff? That's gonna be a tough one because of all the effects/modulations and every other doodad that's out there on the market today. No, they don't "always" sound what they are supposed to sound but, they will certainly throw you for a loop.

Just like other aspects of the guitar, ear training is a tool that takes time to learn and apply.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

"I'd suggest that you ignore what it was actually played on and concentrate on copying the sound."

I'd like to but with 28 guitar sounds to choose from, not very good technique and a terrible ear I am having trouble, hence the question!

Mikespe - thanks - thats the gist of it. Just need some 'common/ultra popular' songs to match to your categories and I'll be away.

As I said, until last year I wasn't a big music fan, rarely buy albums, don't listen to the radio much (as an example I don't even know what 'surf music' means). I can strip a motorcycle down to its component parts and rebuild it though and 5 years ago I couldn't do that. Maybe in 4 years time I'll know a lot more about this new hobby?

So, the riff in 'I want to break free' by Queen - Strat'ish?
Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner - Strat'ish with distortion (or something like that?)
Dualing Banjo's had a dreadnought in it? I never saw that in the movie (or maybe I did, it was years ago - squeal like a pig boy - urghh)
When I'm cleaning windows - Ukelele?
:)

I suggest you ignore copying the sound and just learn what was actually played, or some easy version of it.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

So, the riff in 'I want to break free' by Queen - Strat'ish?

Assuming that he plays the same guitar in the studio as on stage (which is always questionable), it would be a home made guitar (100+ year old oak body, etc) with 1960s vintage Burns Tri-Sonic pickups. The guitar is wired to allow serial, parallel and phase switching. He plays through Vox AC30 amps, using a custom built "Deaky" amp as an effects box/booster. His pick is a silver coin.
Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner - Strat'ish with distortion (or something like that?)
That was played left-handed on a right-handed Strat, so that the staggered pole pieces were reversed, in relation to the strings. His amp may have been a Fender, but also may have been "modded" and he used a fuzz-face heavily at that time.

I still believe that you'd be better off spending your time looking for sounds that give a similar "flavour".

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2