Clear all

How do I figure out the notes in this song

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@username69)
Topic starter  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A68ZOjA6qI

I'm pretty sure in the beginning it's playing a D sus 2 of some sorts using the root and the major 2nd, I reckon. But I can't figure out the chord that's being played after, not sure if it's an inversion of the chord or just a straight up power chord being play. Idk maybe i'm getting everything wrong.

(@davidhodge)

Hi

In the very beginning, there's a D droning in the bass and the high notes are E and B, with the B being higher (at the seventh fret of the high E string) while the E is at the fifth fret of the B string). There are, of course, other ways to play this, but that's what I worked out on the first listen.

There are essentially only two chords in the song. One is definitely D, but it sounds more like a "D5" power chord more than it sounds like a Dsus2, at least until close to the very end when one of the many guitars involved is hitting that open high E string while another guitar sticks with the D5.

The other chord is actually two chords - Asus4 and then A. In case you're interested, once figuring out the first chord is D, the choice of A will work more than two thirds of the time. It's pretty simple to hear it in the bass part, which is a big help when figuring out songs by ear.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@username69)
Topic starter  

this does help a lot.

thank you so much.

ReplyQuote