How do i overcome this barre problem

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I notice that when i play a barre chord, just by barring with my index finger, normally, either the 4th or 3rd string will not be fretted fully, which result in a buzz. The reason that it is not fretted fully is because, as you can see, the whole index finger itself has two lines ( i duno what u call it) its the line that helps your fingers to bend. The top line of the index finger is causing me not able to fret the 3rd or 4th string ( depends on how high or low my index barre is ) because of the "curved in" .Duno whether u understand what i meant lol.

I know that when doing barre with index, the index is slightly rolled - toward the neck of the guitar. And if you were to touch your index finger, you will notice that the middle part of your index is curved in, like a slope.

Any advise for me?

I fell in luv wit my G440C Takamine~ :)

(@blueline)
Noble Member

There are 2 things that you need to do. 1st- Practice. When you are done with that, practice some more.
Fear not. Every single guitarist on the face of the earth has gone through this problem. I know. I've spoken to them all. LOL
Being able to play barre chords does take allot of practice and it is something that yo need to work towards. You will see an improvement. Just keep at it!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

+1 for practice. Also, experiment with shifting your index finger slightly and in different ways, until you can play the barre chord with no buzz. Not everyone plays them EXACTLY the same - the finger position, the tilt of the index finger toward the nut, etc. are all slightly diferent from player to player, because our hands are all shaped differently. Find what works for you.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Try rolling your finger slightly to the side, knuckle towards the nut.

ReplyQuote
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member

I am just starting to play them myself and have found that it's best if I "roll" my index finger back a bit so that the strings are fretted more with the side of the finger than the pads of the finger. This helps eliminate the open space on the joints since the side of the finger is flatter. I'm not sure if this will cause me problems later but it seems to be helping for now. Hope it makes sense...

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i have the same problem. if the string is where the crease is, it won't sound. what you have to do is move your finger this way and that ever so slightly, press harder right there if you have to...in other words do what you have to do to get it to sound. most of the time it won't be an issue anyway because for what you're playing it may not have to sound. but if it does, you just have to fiddle with it to see what works....

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I tink the problem is due to the fingers crease and the knuckle of my index. It makes the middle part of the index looks like a hump, therefore i can't fret cleanly the 4th & 3rd string..even when i try to roll over a little, its the same...

Mayb practise can overcome this, sometimes i am able to fret without any buzz, but most of the time i cant. Maybe i just have to find the right spot. :)

Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Sadly enough, only practice can overcome it.

However, don't hesitate to take a coffee break (or any other one, if you please), when you hand starts paining. That will give you the best results.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

If you have a guitar store around where you could try out some other guitars, you might give that a try too and see if your guitar is just tough to play or setup poorly. I have no idea what kind of guitar you have, but I had no idea how hard my old guitar was to play (relative to others) until I tried some new ones at the store.

Not that blaming the guitar is a good practice, but sometimes it's at least worth exploring :) A lighter string gauge or lower action on your current guitar could help, too.

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

try varying the way you hold the guitar....the headstock pointed a little more up, the guitar facing a little more forward....

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

You've gotten some good answers there, for me rolling the finger slightly worked wonders.

ReplyQuote
(@kenllh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

You are right, i should practise more and try varying the positions. Trying out a new guitar is also a good idea, as i have never really tried others properly. My guitar is a Takamine G440C acoustic. Its a low priced guitar at about 250 bucks. I think i really need to try out other guitars to see if i can play more easily as i have a feeling that my action is a little high ( i am not sure ). mayb if it is, i might wanna try adjusting the action.

How much does adjustin the action cost in the US? I stay in Singapore.

Rgds,
Kenny

ReplyQuote
(@harleyy)

heres one more thing to try...If your second finger is not being used place it on top of your barring finger for extra strength ...I do that in some cases where im up the neck at maybe the 7th or 9th position and need a clean blues sound...take care!

ReplyQuote