Clear all

How do I tune when I haven't learnt how - guitar sounds off

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Welcome to the family. We are all brothers and sisters here. I was lucky enough to find this place and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

We learn, help, joke and have a good laugh together.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks, Nils.
Your welcome.. And welcome to GN. Enjoy your stay and learn with the rest of us.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Glad we could help! Congratulations on the beginning of your musical journey!

Welcome to the asylum for the MuSiCaLLy InSaNe!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@campbell)
Topic starter  

Can't wait to get to the music shop today!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Campbell

Here is a little trick that will help your tuner to work well. Tuners tend to jump around a little and sometimes pick up a string other than the one you want to tune.

Before you start, place your hand flat over all the strings so that none of them are vibrating. Now lift your hand being careful not to disturb the strings.

Then gently pluck the 6th string (bass). The note should register and show in the display. If you are flat tune up to correct pitch. If you are sharp, purposely tune down lower than the note you want just a little. Then tune UP to the correct pitch.

ALWAYS TUNE UP TO A NOTE, NOT DOWN.

This will keep your guitar in tune.

Now once you have the 6th string correct, place your hand flat across all the strings until the display on your tuner goes off completely. Now, gently strike the 5th string. Again, tune up to the correct note, not down.

Just continue until all strings are done.

By stopping all string movement completely, your tuner will more clearly and quickly pick up the proper string you want to tune. You will find it will not jump around to other strings. This will speed up tuning and be far more accurate.

It's a whole lot easier than I made it sound! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Thanks, Wes, for that (from someone who's not Campbell :) ).

You explained that well and I as I read it, it made me realise something that I hadn't consciously thought about before but had somehow known: it is easier (more accurate ?) to tune up than down.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@j4dyce)

There's also a site called alternatetuner.com, which has standard tunings as well as alternate tunings with sound samples to tune to.

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

And if you have a REALLY bad ear and think you might tune the wrong octive, you can try this:

http://www.actiontuners.com/

I never tried it, but it's supposed to do EVERYTHING including TURN the heads with a buit-in motor!!!

Ain't cheap at $49.95.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@steve-k)

Thanks! :D . I've been trying to find out about tuners and this thread has pretty much answered all my questions.

I've not looked at this forum much before - I will be here much more often from now on.

Cheers

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I recently acquired a Korg GA30 (freebie with a new guitar, but they are inexpensive.....)

Small enough to fit in your pocket, works for guitar and bass, can tune to sharps or flats, works either through jack plug or built-in mic...with an added bonus, the batteries seem to last forever....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2