Clear all

How do you do that? (Soundclick inside)

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

On the Beach - Neil Young is the song and well, this is a cover of it I have.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=538934

First question regards the rhythm playing. On the second strum of the progression, each time, it's like a quick stab before another chord. What is this stab called and how do you do it? I've tried stabbing at the chord as if playing normally but aggressively and it doesn't seem to sound the same.

The second question is about the lead guitar. He too does stabs at 2:15, 2:30 and in particular 3:04. What are they called and how do you do them? Also how does he gete the one at 3:04 so loud and sharp?

Thanks,

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@oktay)
Reputable Member

To me it sounds like a "scratch" on an electric guitar.

A scratch is when you lay the outside edge of your strumming hand on the strings as you're strumming. You get a muted somewhat percussive sound. It is more apparent on an acoustic. Jack Johnson's Sitting, Waiting, Wishing is a song that uses it.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'll have to try that out, thanks!

I was sure it was some sort of muting or ghost noting going on there.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hmm.

I'm finding that a bit hard to do without making it a plain palm mute.

Does anyone have any links on the technique of how to "scratch"? I've checked google, but nothing's coming up.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

you sturm and kind of karate chop the strings with your strumming hand, I think!
Isn't it a similar idea to the 'For What It's Worth' lesson on this site?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Sounds like regular palm muting to me but then I don't have the greatest ears.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Yeah. It might just be. I think the difference would be that with palm muting you would still hear the tone but with a scratch (being percussive) you wouldn't. I can't really tell whether I can or cannot listening to that tune.

Regardless, dhodge covers the scratch strum -which he calls a percussive strum or a percussive stroke- in a few lessons starting with https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/for-what-its-worth/ where he goes into detail.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Yeah. It might just be. I think the difference would be that with palm muting you would still hear the tone but with a scratch (being percussive) you wouldn't. I can't really tell whether I can or cannot listening to that tune.

Regardless, dhodge covers the scratch strum -which he calls a percussive strum or a percussive stroke- in a few lessons starting with https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/for-what-its-worth/ where he goes into detail.

oktay

Did I not say that? :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

It's the same technique for the lead guitar.

Deaden the strings with your fretting hand, and strum quickly.

Or, deaden them with your picking hand by laying it across the strings and then picking.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hmm.

I'm still not convinced that there's not something else in the equation. Yes I realise that we all think that there's an element of (palm) muting involved, but in the recording the sound is so much louder and thicker (chunkier- more like a chug) that I question whether there is some reverb and gain, maybe a toe down wah stamp, that really accentuates it.

A friend said that it sounds thicker because the guy who is doing it is doing so at a louder volume.

Anyone wrack their brains for something else? Or better yet, dHodge comes in and gives a few extra tips as he said he wouldn't mind giving in his article?

:D

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

biker_jim_uk, You DID apparently say that. Sorry :) I must have skipped over your post.

Clazon,

If it's anything like scratch/percussive strumming. The "chug" comes with a little bit of practice. Good thing is, once you get it, it becomes second nature mighty fast. I guess what I'm getting at is that if you can't get the sound you're hearing when you try to do it yourself, experiment/practice a little bit more :) And by all means, do try more reverb, move volume etc :)

oktay

ReplyQuote