Notifications
Clear all

How do you go in Drop D, down 1 whole step

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@billybenbobjr)
Topic starter  

This year for christmas I recieved an Nickleback guitar song book. For all the songs it says(All guitars in Drop D, down 1 whole step. Then it goes 6=C,5=G,4=C,3=F,2=A,1=D. I can't figure it.Can someone please explain and tell me what to do. Thank you and have a Merry Christmas

i know its only rock and roll but i like it

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The normal dropped D tuning is DADGBE (only the low E is dropped). This variant then drops all the strings one whole tone - DADGBE (dropped D) down to CGCFAD.
Start with the guitar in standard tuning.
Lower the low E by 2 whole tones to C. All the other strings are lowered by one whole tone.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You'll probably need thicker strings for this to work, thin strings will get flubby real fast.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

All of the above, and:

Tune your first string down so that it sounds the same as the 2nd string fingered at the 3rd fret, tune the 2nd string down so when you finger it at the 5th fret it sounds the same as the (downtuned) open 1st string, tune the 3rd string down so that when you finger it at the 4th fret it sounds the same as the open 2nd string, tune the 4th/ 5th string down so that when you finger it at the 5th fret it sounds the same as the open 3rd/ 4th string, and tune the 6th string down so that when you finger it at the 7th fret it sounds the same as the open 5th string.

Et voila! Drop C. If you don't follow "why" it works, check out some of David's lessons on this site.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Have you considered getting a chromatic tuner, it will help you get into any tuning easily.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@billybenbobjr)
Topic starter  

yes, I have reived one for christmas and I think i have figured it out thank you for the help everyone

i know its only rock and roll but i like it

ReplyQuote