Notifications
Clear all

How is this played?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sue-gr)
Topic starter  

On a tabulature, if there is an x in the middle of the tab, and everything else should be played...how does one play that with the guitar? Do you break it up on the chord? Strum the first few strings, and then strum the last strings left that need to be strummed? I don't know how else to leave out the string marked "x" that is not supposed to be played. Any help on this sure would be appreciated. I have looked in some "Teach yourself guitar books" but haven't found anything to answer my question as of yet.
Sue

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

in most cases i would say to mute that string :wink:

heres an example towards the bottom of the page

http://www.cyberfret.com/reading/internet-tab/page6.php

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

A good resource you might want to print out is:

A Guide to Tab Notation.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hi Sue and Welcome to Guitar Noise,
I will assume you are referring to a chord box?
If that is the case, when a string in the middle is to be muted you mute it with whichever finger is fretting the next string above or below the muted string.
If for example you want to mute the 4th string and you are fretting the 5th string, fret the 5th string with your finger at enough of an angle so it lightly touches the 4th string.
If the opposite is true and you are fretting the 4th string and want to mute the 5th let your fingertip hang over enough to touch the 5th string (fat finger the 4th a bit)
Keep in mind you only have to touch a string to mute it.

ReplyQuote