Clear all

Muting Single Notes - How To?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bennett)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have recently been trying to understand how to play the muted bass notes in Heart of Gold (Example 2B) and the muted notes in Old Man (Example 3).

In Heart of Gold the music explicitly states "Palm mute" but I find it hard to replicate the sound on David's MP3. In this example should the palm be resting on the strings at the same time as the A string is picked? Or should the palm be laid across the strings immediately after the A string is picked?

I have tried both but in the first instance the sound sounds much too quiet (muted) whereas with the second I find the timing to be very difficult. The best I have come to making it sound like the MP3 is to actually use my ring finger on the A string to do the muting ... but this raises yet another question: How does one mute with the fretting hand?

I have tried lightly resting the finger on the string but I then seem to get the same effect as when I lay my palm over the strings as mentioned above. The other method I have tried, which sounds good, but I'm not certain is correct, is to put the finger on the near fret (ie. the thin vertical bar).

Anyhoo, any advice regarding muting with respect to single notes, and in particular as they apply in the above song lessons, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I think you should keep working on the technique until it sounds right to you it doesn't have to be note for note. Here's a qoute from the lesson" The same strumming guidelines apply here as apply to Wild World: on the first beat (the two eighth notes), feel free to play a single note, a partial chord, a single palm muted string, multiple palm muted strings, whatever happens to catch your fancy. You'll notice that I incorporate all of those techniques during the course of playing this."
Emulating someones playing is fine and well but you should try to make the piece your own.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice Art. All fair points there. :)

I guess what I was trying to understand was the technique of muting, as demonstrated in those lessons from David Hodge.

Whilst I'm happy to play around a bit, I'd hate to pick up a bad habit so early on in my development. I'm sure there are multiple ways to do the muting but if anyone has any advice as to what they've found to be the most effective, I'd love to hear it. :)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Basically, you want to strike the “said” string, while at the same time “mute” it with the palm of your hand more towards the bridge. There are different types of muting but, in your case, practice the above.

Don't worry, in time it will come just like every other technique.

By the way, Welcome to guitarnoise!!!! It's your last stop destination to the vast knowledge of what is consuming your inner most desires.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice, and the welcome, Tracker. :)

'Tis a great site ... certainly a much better way to learn than when I tried back in the early 90's. :P

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to guitar noise,
The 2 examples you gave are different and require slightly different technics.
The first, Heart of Gold, although the bass notes are muted you still want to hear them. I like to strike the bass notes (fairly hard) and mute them right away (stacatto)
The second example is a percussive stroke. It serves multiple purposes.
Keeps the rhythm flowing, cuts the previous played chord or note short and stops it from ringing. and adds a certain flavor of its own.
Percussive strokes are muted from the start. You do not have to strike all of the strings just a few will do. You also do not have to finger a chord shape so this is a good time to get your fret hand in position for the next chord you will actually be playing.
Just like anything else with guitar playing, it is a personal thing and you will develop your own technic in time.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Missileman! That's exactly the sort of advice I was looking for. :)

ReplyQuote